No announcement yet.

Paul Spadafora Returns on September 30 in PA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Spadafora Returns on September 30 in PA

PITTSBURGH -- Former IBF lightweight champion PAUL “The Pittsburgh Kid” SPADAFORA will return to the ring for the second time in three months in a 10-round junior welterweight bout at Heinz Field-VIP Tent in Pittsburgh (100 Art Rooney Drive), the home of the Steelers. Spadafora (42-0-1, 17 KOs), of nearby McKees Rocks, will headline an all-action card, Wednesday, September 30. The show will begin at 7:30 p.m. [details]

90 mins from me

Comment

dude was nice...havent seen him in a while

i lost my clip of him roughin up mayweather sparring

paul is a slick boxer

Comment

I wish I could be there. Loved watching him before. Sweet Pea in the corner. Watch out!

Comment

he ****ed up floyd sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
            he ****ed up floyd sparring.
            you obviously havent seen the video

floyd did not get "****ed up"

Paul was a week before his fight in tip top shape, and Floyd was out of training in between fights.. and Floyd still held his own just fine... nobody beat anyones ass

Comment

I to find to many people make out Mayweather was just beat up the whole spar, when this isn't true, for the majority of the spar it was pretty even with both fighters having success, it was just late on that Spadafora come on strong due to being the better conditioned fighter. As Spadafora was getting ready to defend his IBF 135 title against Renato Cornett, while Mayweather says he was out of shape.

There was talk of the two meeting for real, but it never came off.

Paul Spadafora is in training camp for his lightweight unification title bout with Leonard Dorin next month, but the International Boxing Federation champion will have his eyes on another prizefight this weekend.
              Spadafora has a keen interest in the outcome of the World Boxing Council title fight between champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (29-0) and challenger Victoriano Sosa (35-2-2) Saturday night at Selland Arena in Fresno, Calif.

"If Mayweather tries to get cute with him, he's going to get caught," said Spadafora, who survived two knockdowns to defeat Sosa in a 12-round decision in March 2000. "Sosa can punch. He almost got me."

If Mayweather defeats Sosa and Spadafora (36-0) beats Dorin (21-0), the World Boxing Association champion, on May 17 at the Petersen Events Center, it could set up another unification bout - between longtime rivals Mayweather and Spadafora.

"I'm going to fight Mayweather after this," said Spadafora, a McKees Rocks native. "Mayweather will have no choice but to fight one of us."

The 135-pound lightweight classification, which includes World Boxing Organization champ Artur Grigorian, is the sport's only division with four undefeated champions.

Mayweather is generally considered the best of the class. That's a title the Spadafora camp disputes, especially after it has had trouble getting Mayweather to agree to a fight. The two boxers and their camps have jawed publicly since their Las Vegas sparring session in 1999, in which Spadafora reportedly whipped a trash-talking Mayweather in a warmup to the Renato Cornett bout.

Spadafora faces a former sparring partner in Dorin, one he claims gave him a better challenge than Mayweather.

"Sparring is nothing like a fight," Spadafora said. "(Dorin is) probably the best fighter I've ever been in a ring with, even better than Mayweather."

While the Dorin fight represents Spadafora's biggest paycheck at upwards of $500,000, a bout with Mayweather would promise even greater earning power. Getting the fight isn't so easy.

Spadafora manager Al McCauley claims that Mayweather offered to fight Spadafora, but only if he was willing to take a $300,000 share of a proposed $3.1 million purse.

"We weren't willing to take a 90/10 cut," McCauley said. "We were willing to take 75/25. He's saying we're pricing ourselves out of the market at 25 percent."

Even if Mayweather and Spadafora both win, the possibility remains that they won't fight.

Mayweather has vowed to move up to super welterweight (154 pounds) to challenge Oscar de la Hoya for his WBA and WBC titles. At 5-foot-9, Spadafora is finding it difficult to keep his weight down and could move up to 140 if the Mayweather fight doesn't materialize soon.

That puts more of an onus on his fight with Dorin.

"This is for the real world title," McCauley said. "Forget Mayweather. He's ducking us, ducking Dorin. These are the best two lightweights.

"Mayweather will never fight us. He's too scared."

Comment

Working...
              X