No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Damage: The Untold Story of Brain Damage in Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Damage: The Untold Story of Brain Damage in Boxing

By Thomas Hauser - In 1928, a doctor named Dr. Harrison Martland wrote an essay titled "Punch Drunk" that was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. People knew that fighters could be severely injured in fights or even die in the ring. But there were also fighters walking around who were derided as "cuckoo," "goofy," "cutting paper dolls," or "slug nutty." Martland called these fighters "punch drunk" and believed that roughly half of all boxers would fall victim to this condition if they fought long enough. He studied what was happening to men who were being hit in the head again and again in fights and in sparring. And he concluded, "I am of the opinion that in punch drunk there is a very definite brain injury due to single or repeated blows on the head or jaw which cause multiple concussion hemorrhages in the deeper portions of the cerebrum."
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 05-12-2021, 02:47 AM.

Contact sports should be banned

Comment

Most retired boxers nowadays don't sound like they've been punched in head for a living you'd never know.
      Paul malignaggi, David haye, Tony bellew. Carl Froch was interviewed other day and he was well spoken. Even posh sounding, the voice he used whilst fighting was more thugish like an act.

Comment

What is with this agenda? Every month or so there is one of these "poignant" pieces to try to get into peoples heads.

100% trashy Guardian/NYT style rhetoric with 0% statistics.

Who is behind it? What are they trying to push? Obviously the purpose is not to inform, otherwise there would be, you know, actual statistics and analysis.

Why do journalists even exist? Most worthless class of person any culture has ever produced.
        BodyBagz BodyBagz likes this.

Comment

Tris Dixon is a steroid weight lifter, so much of what he says don’t mean jack. KimBo Slice died of a heart attack for the roids he was taking like Dixon. I will say Freddie Roach is one of the very few I truly admire in the sport. Most people at his age and stage couldn’t do what he’s doing. His determination with athleticism or to fight against his handicap is glorious.
          tonysoprano tonysoprano likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
            Most retired boxers nowadays don't sound like they've been punched in head for a living you'd never know.
            Paul malignaggi, David haye, Tony bellew. Carl Froch was interviewed other day and he was well spoken. Even posh sounding, the voice he used whilst fighting was more thugish like an act.
            I was impressed with Froch's commentary last weekend. I wouldn't mind hearing him doing that more often, though it was probably a one-off, or only when a known British fighter is in the main event at least.
            PulpFriction PulpFriction likes this.

Comment

Forty-five years ago I met a young man who never boxed higher than Golden Gloves. He had had many, many fights at Silver Gloves and then more at Golden Gloves (but not nearly as many as at SG). He was about 22 - 25 years of age, and he was punch drunk. He had a five year old son who was already being trained as a boxer, and my first thought was whether the son would share his father's fate. It's something that I'll never forget, and I believe the only reason we don't see as much of it anymore is that there are so many fewer boxers than in the past. In Illinois high schools had boxing as a varsity sport, and I imagine that many other states did as well. Illinois stopped having boxing as a varsity sport about seventy years ago (end of the forties I think), and I'll wager it was in part because of CTE.

Comment

I am sure it is a nice book if you want to learn all you can a bout the downside of boxing or the effects of getting hit with punches as a prize fighter. I have to go along with the other comment what are they trying to put out there with all these articles ? Don't watch boxing ? Be more understanding ? The medical people know best just listen to us and..... There is a lot of nasty ugly stuff out there always has been. People get screwed and screwed over in every part of life some people fight thru it others give up. You can not intellectualize boxing man. It dont work that way.
                Boxing Beast Boxing Beast likes this.

Comment

they once did a study where they measured the words per minute spoken by fighters through their career. the pace they spoke went down substantially. look at pretty much all your favorite fighters; for most, the speech pace went down a lot. look at floyd manny shane cotto oscar all of them speak much slower now than years ago of course they've had long careers though.

Comment

They stop fights way sooner than they did in the past. Often times too soon but CTE is why.

Even early 2000s and 90s era there was a huge difference.

Was watching some of michael moorer and holyfield 1 and 2 yesterday and some of moorers other fights, he got dropped a lot and fought on shaky legs and these days they would have stopped it. Also PBF-Corrales comes to mind early 2000s, corrales dropped repeatedly and corrales-castillo, these days i think they would have gotten stopped sooner.

Comment

Working...
                    X