Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joseph Parker Talks Barry Split, Fury, Chisora Fight, The Future, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joseph Parker Talks Barry Split, Fury, Chisora Fight, The Future, More

As the weeks wind down to his upcoming clash with Dereck Chisora so the winds of change also blow through Joseph Parker's entire career. Despite coming off a solid if unspectacular win against local rival Junior Fa, Parker decided to make what is perhaps the toughest call of his professional career in parting ways with longtime trainer and mentor Kevin Barry. As if that decision wasn't difficult enough it was made in the midst of Team Parker negotiating his high-profile clash with Chisora and done without Parker really knowing where his next training base would be, not to mention facing the logistical aspects of negotiating Covid-19.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I have to give him credit. His two losses are in the UK, both of them controversial. Parker wants to make amends at the scene of his losses. They're not running him out of town. Bravo.

Comment

I have always tipped my hat @ Joe Parker because he has always fought regularly, and been willing to travel. In fact he's one of the most well-traveled fighters in the sport.

When he won the WBO strap in a very close fight with Ruiz Jr, he could've sat back like a lot of fighters, cashing cheques for minimal activity and sub-par opponents, always fighting at home to ensure a home-town advantage.

At the same time, I feel as though he holds back a little in the ring at times, whether it be stylistically or aggression.

He seems to be comfortable boxing but has a problem in scoring knockdowns or KO's in the big fights. Against AJ, he fought totally off the back foot, looking for a safe passage inside via a mistake, rather than taking risks with feints, head movement, or simply driving forward with a high guard to get to the bigger man.

Having said that, he has a respectable record of 29 (21) - 2 - 0.

His next fight needs to be a step up, I don't think he's ready for a title shot yet, for if he got dropped and pushed to the limit by a shot but dedicated Chisora, he needs to work on delivering power - he obviously can box, he has decent footwork, but at times again, he lacks the killer instinct.

Ortiz would be a good fight for Parker next, a rematch with Whyte would be a good opportunity as Whyte has big holes in his defense. It needs to be a crossroads fight - either a solid gatekeeper again, or a contender/prospect. ( Dubois needs to go back to basics and learn better head movement ).

Comment

It could well be that he needs another trainer but where is he going to find one in NZ? He could go to Australia but the best are in the US. Be interesting to see what he does.

Comment

His main problem is he’s not that good.

Comment

Working...
          X