No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Smith - Almost There

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joe Smith - Almost There

By Cliff Rold - Losses matter more in the last generation or two than they used to. For some boxers, they can be career crippling. In some ways, it wouldn't be fair if it didn't work that way. Once at a certain level of contention, most of the current battlers in the sport just aren't active enough to afford a mass of defeats. Single losses under the right circumstances might not be too harmful but multiple losses make it hard to sell when there are clusters of fighters waiting for an opening with a limited time on canvas to show their stuff.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Smith winning a major title would be a good old fashioned rags to riches, local boy makes good story.

I have been whining for ages now about the wasted potential within this division so it's satisfying to hope that some major fights will be coming before the shining light's age out.

I do not understand what Bivol is doing - I expected he would have achieved more by now, but he has time.

No disputing that everyone wants to see Beterbiev v Bivol - and for that to be a 50:50 fight it needs to happen by the end of next year, as Beterbiev is sailing into his late 30's.

Yarde still has capital despite two close losses, Buatsi has still to prove himself, and there are still plenty of seemingly fresh journeyman/contenders filling out the division for some potentially good firefights in the next couple of years. Hopefully.

'Hope, in reality, is the worst of all evils as it prolongs the torments of man.' - Nietzsche

Comment

Smith is at least a fighter. That resume, win or lose, is a decent one. I am hoping for a Smith win, not just because it is a bigger fight for Beterbiev, but because I would like to see Smith have that pure joy of victory again.

Comment

I have some sympathy for this man. he is fighter and ready to take on anybody.

Comment

Let's go joe!!!!

Comment

I've always liked Joe Smith. He's not the best, but he's solid, strong, not afraid of anyone and seems like a decent guy.

Comment

He isn't flashy or c0cky... Joe is an honest, hard working guy who improves every fight. Hopefully he pulls out a W in this, likely his toughest test.

Comment

I'm kinda feeling an upset vibe here cuz it just seems to good to be true that the working class hero Joe Smith wins a belt, but all signs point to that not being likely with Maxim having covid recently + Joe working on the holes in his game lately. Maxim can be tricky doe so who knows. If Maxim builds up a few good rounds earlier he could swipe this belt if Joe isn't able to catch him.

Comment

Originally posted by landotter View Post
                  Smith is at least a fighter. That resume, win or lose, is a decent one. I am hoping for a Smith win, not just because it is a bigger fight for Beterbiev, but because I would like to see Smith have that pure joy of victory again.
                  Besides Joe being a more regular cat than most guys at the level he's been at for awhile now without winning a belt the 2nd biggest reason I'm rooting for him is cuz Smith vs Beterbiev would be a fun ass fight. I'm a bigger Beterbiev fan than Smith fan, but I do like Smith's upset chances vs Beterbiev while still favoring Beterbiev.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Besides Joe being a more regular cat than most guys at the level he's been at for awhile now without winning a belt the 2nd biggest reason I'm rooting for him is cuz Smith vs Beterbiev would be a fun ass fight. I'm a bigger Beterbiev fan than Smith fan, but I do like Smith's upset chances vs Beterbiev while still favoring Beterbiev.
                    That is exactly where I am at. I think like most people on here, Beterbiev and Bivol is what I want. But Beterbiev and Smith is a fun time. I favor Beterbiev and think he is 100% sold out for a Smith fight, unlike he was for his useless mandatory a few weeks ago. Smith ALWAYS sells out, win lose or KO a legend out of the ring. I would enjoy the crud out of that match while picking Beterbiev is the call for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X