Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Prez Feels Povetkin Was Not Physically Ready After Long COVID Battle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: WBC Prez Feels Povetkin Was Not Physically Ready After Long COVID Battle

World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman believes the 41-year-old was not physically ready for the rematch with Dillian Whyte. On Saturday night in Gibraltar, Whyte stopped Povetkin in four rounds. Back in August of 2020, Povetkin was dropped twice in the fourth round - but then came out in the fifth and knocked Whyte out cold with a brutal uppercut up the middle.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He was stunned in the first round. Didn’t think he recovered from that.

Comment

Bit unprofessional.

Comment

I just think he looked like an old man

Comment

Povetkin was infected with covid-19 last year, was spending a lot of time recovering/quarantined, gained weight and was out of shape in the process. He looked off at the weigh-in, looked gun shy and lost even when the fight started. I knew he was going to lose just from seeing the way he looked at the weigh-in. I don't think whyte's win did anything for him. He avenged his KO loss, yes, but povetkin was out of the fight mentally and physically. I still think whyte would get outclasssed and KO'ed by luis ortiz, wilder, AJ, usyk and fury. He is still a gate keeper.

Comment

I think it's pretty clear now why the WBC have messed Whyte about for years. Sulaiman just doesn't like him. Whyte was doing the same in the first fight until he got caught.
            Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 03-28-2021, 12:04 AM.
            Boxviewer Boxviewer likes this.

Comment

As a COVID nurse, Pov had no business in the ring but I commend his courage & he honored his word by taking the rematch.
              Pov & Berchelt are both examples of the lingering effect of the virus on the respiratory system.
              BUT...
              Maybe now we get Wilder vs Whyte.
              The pre-fight build up alone will be awesome

Comment

I've read that some people who recovered from COVID-19 sustain serious lung damage. It's not "just the flu" like these rightwing conspiracy nuts are spewing.
                TouchyAndalou TouchyAndalou likes this.

Comment

Perhaps Hearn can find Whyte a fifty year old double pneumonia patient for his next opponent.
                  !-1 !-1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by baroidi View Post
                    I've read that some people who recovered from COVID-19 sustain serious lung damage. It's not "just the flu" like these rightwing conspiracy nuts are spewing.
                    The thing about Covid is its kind of random. Some people who are older have zero symptoms or lingering health issues (lung damage) and some young people are left with lingering issues (distorted sense of smell, lung issues). Its too early for us to know but thus far it appears to be random.

With all that being said there are two general rules of thumb. First, younger people tend to handle covid better. Second, most - NOT ALL - of people with lingering long-term issues got very sick during the acute phase of covid. These are by no means absolute rules but general observations.

And yet MOST people seem to make full recovery from covid....again, most could be 51%...although it seems about 80% of people make full recovery, about 10% have mid-term lingering symptoms, ~7% long-term lingering issues, and ~1-2% die.

I'm a nurse and i got covid before we all knew what was happening. Nurses are the most infected industry workers in the nation. Fortunately i have either minimal or no long-term changes but who knows what the future holds. Will the next strain of covid hit ? A new ebola ? A new swine flu? Avian flu?? Medicine and infectious disease are a mystery today.

What confuses me about Povetkin is he didnt look right from the start. Did he get hurt in sparring and not recover ? He couldnt have sparred the way he was...something just doesnt add up and I'm not sure covid is to blame here.

Comment

Working...
                    X