No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ryabinskiy: I Will Persuade Povetkin To End His Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ryabinskiy: I Will Persuade Povetkin To End His Career

Alexander Povetkin appears to have accomplished everything that will come of his pro career. A high-profile rematch with Dillian Whyte ended in despair for the 41-year-old Russian heavyweight, who suffered a one-sided knockout loss Saturday evening at Europa Point Sports Complex in Gibraltar. The fight was all one way, with Whyte (28-2, 19KOs) landing heavy right hands from the opening bell and repeatedly hurting Povetkin before closing the show late in the 4th round.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Yep... about time too. When you are getting stopped by someone who was a former kickboxer with a small number of amateur fights, you know it’s time to let it go.

Comment

His punch resistance has been on a massive decline for a few years now. he's had a very good career. Time to retire, it's clear. Did anyone else think he looked tired and unwell on his ring walk?

Comment

I would love to see Povetkin versus Ortiz.. That would be a good 50-50 fight

Comment

He should’ve taken his ko win vs whyte and retired because he was done before then.

Comment

He did not look right to me during his ring walk. He was slow and did not look well and then after the opening bell when he was losing his balance and Whyte hadn’t even really touched him yet, yeah something is not right medically....hopefully he gets looked over properly, possibly lasting COVID after effects ? Also noticed he lost some muscle mass since the last fight. But he should retire now, he has had a great career and has been in most people’s top 5 for a few years now, always a force to be reckoned with. He has nothing to be ashamed of with retiring after that loss....Whyte wouldn’t have been able to handle Povetkin at his peak, no way.

Comment

I've been saying that these old guys have it made because they can work much cheaper than the boxers in their prime. Most of the name boxers have it made financially and can afford low gates. That seems the reason why they are getting so frisky lately. Since the boxing orgs have gone bat-****t crazy about belts and weight classes, they are probably missing another revenue stream here (I can't believe I'm saying this but anyway). Yeah, that's it, a new division...Geezerweight! Don't care how much they weigh or their age...just what seems like a cool fight. What the heck, maybe this is what boxing needs. Mostly for the old guys egos though. 20oz gloves maybe?? Povetlin is now eligible. Nice try, Dude.

Comment

Originally posted by greenarcher89 View Post
                I would love to see Povetkin versus Ortiz.. That would be a good 50-50 fight
                That shouldn’t be Povetkin last fight , I believe he will be healthier. People are acting like Covid didn’t happen and Whyte really is a tough customer. Ortiz vs Povetkin is the fight unfortunately Ortiz will not fight anyone unless it involves a title or title eliminator.
                Last edited by REDEEMER; 03-28-2021, 10:24 AM.
                eco1 eco1 likes this.

Comment

Yeah, that was something, curious to see if we hear anything this week about his condition leading up to the fight or post fight tests. I was hoping he'd take one more just to see if this was a one off, but I can understand throwing in the towel after how he looked today

Comment

He looked completely washed. Covid probably pushed his body off the cliff and he has fallen too far now. Unfortunate that the heavyweight division heated up a little late for him but he still made plenty of money. Time to enjoy it probably.

Comment

Working...
                    X