Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn on Okolie: We Want To Unify The Division, Move Up To Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn on Okolie: We Want To Unify The Division, Move Up To Heavyweight

Eddie Hearn promoter for newly crowned WBO cruiserweight champion Lawrence Okolie (16-0, 13 KOs), has long-term plan worked out for the unbeaten boxer. On Saturday night at the SSE Arena in Wembley, Okolie became a world champion when he knocked out former two-time beltholder Krzysztof Glowacki (31-3, 19 KOs) in the sixth round to capture the vacant WBO cruiserweight title.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I've been bashing British fighters s lot lately but Okolie seems legit to me.

Comment

Pretty much as predicted in my comment yesterday. It was confusing watching Brits make out as if Okolie was some boring bum when, in reality, he has an alward style and power. It's like we refuse to pay attention to the fighters here who are genuinely decent/world level whilst praising fighters who end up being "meh" in the grand scheme of things and I never get why. I can see Okolie unifying the division too.

Comment

Good luck to Okolie who seems a nice bright kid with a story but his chin hasn't even been tested at cruiserweight yet and my only concern is he that he should with his size be able to unifie the cruiserweights and then he will be like Usyk , given an automatic shot at the heavyweight title without ever having to prove that he's any good at heavyweight and Edward will sell this to the victims on a top dollar PPv as the next thriller in Manilla without this lad really being tested . If the victims are silly enough to buy a PPv with a fighter who has now lost TEN times (chisora) then mark my words there's much more shyte in store.

Comment

Chisora and Whyte just about past their use by dates so Eddie aiming to push a couple of cruisers up into the ranks to sure up future PPV's. Okolie put on a decent show today...even though I think Glowacki could have carried on. Put him in with someone his own size though and I think we will find out fairly quickly that he's a new version of Dubois. That being said...I felt bad that he had no crowd to cheer him when he won his first world title. It must have been deflating.

Comment

I've only seen Okolle fight twice, and after the second time (fight against Askin) I said I wasn't going to torture myself and sit through another Okolle fight.

So is it possible he can unify Cruiser? Seems like most of the big guns have moved up to heavy...

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
              I've only seen Okolle fight twice, and after the second time (fight against Askin) I said I wasn't going to torture myself and sit through another Okolle fight.

So is it possible he can unify Cruiser? Seems like most of the big guns have moved up to heavy...
              He definitely has some good tools, though I have no idea of his chin, or how he reacts when the going gets tough. I think Glowacki is garbage. I always have done. I think there are only two other boxers worth fighting for Okolie at CW. First Dorticos, and if he beats him, Briedis. I would respect those two wins. Then there will be nothing left to do at CW and he will have to move up to the much better HW division. I can't see him bating Briedis though. Maybe not even Dorticos. He'd crush Makubu.

Comment

Briedis and Dorticos are tough fights for him.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                  Briedis and Dorticos are tough fights for him.
                  Brieidis I agree, but Dorticos has kinda fallen for me. Yeah he has punching power but has slow feet, is pretty easy to hit, pretty basic 1-2 kind of fighter offensively. Think Okolie would just counter and outbox him from the outside and get the stoppage. Prolly halfway through like this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post

He definitely has some good tools, though I have no idea of his chin, or how he reacts when the going gets tough. I think Glowacki is garbage. I always have done. I think there are only two other boxers worth fighting for Okolie at CW. First Dorticos, and if he beats him, Briedis. I would respect those two wins. Then there will be nothing left to do at CW and he will have to move up to the much better HW division. I can't see him bating Briedis though. Maybe not even Dorticos. He'd crush Makubu.
                    Makabu has the WBC belt, so he should be on Okolie's list of opponents.

Comment

Working...
                    X