Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo On Facing Southpaw Saunders: I'm Way Better Now Than When I Fought Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo On Facing Southpaw Saunders: I'm Way Better Now Than When I Fought Lara

MIAMI GARDENS, Florida - There was great debate about whether Canelo Alvarez deserved to win the last time he boxed a smart, skillful southpaw. Six-and-a-half years later, the four-division champion is completely confident that he is much more equipped to beat Billy Joe Saunders than he was when he encountered Erislandy Lara. Alvarez edged Lara by split decision, but the result of their 12-round junior middleweight match in July 2014 is considered controversial.
    [Click Here To Read More]

This is true. Seems like some folks are giving BJS a chance to win but when he fails they'll just call him a cherry pick.

Also Lara is better than BJS let's be real.

Comment

Hold up, there was a judge who scored the Canelo/Lara fight 117-111 for Canelo? 117-111? Seriously? Lol. Blatant robbery.

These judges are so dumb why they gotta make it so obvious? Lol

Comment

How does anyone know if this statement is true if since the Lara fight 7 years ago, he hasn’t faced anyone (coincidentally I’m sure) who’s considered to have exceptional foot movement. Nearly everyone of his opponents were plodders. The only one you could argue had decent foot movement would be a 36 year old Cotto and bogus scorecard aside, canelo didn’t look all that great in that fight.
        Zaryu Zaryu likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
          How does anyone know if this statement is true if since the Lara fight 7 years ago, he hasn’t faced anyone (coincidentally I’m sure) who’s considered to have exceptional foot movement. Nearly everyone of his opponents were plodders. The only one you could argue had decent foot movement would be a 36 year old Cotto and bogus scorecard aside, canelo didn’t look all that great in that fight.
          This is a fair point. I think most people have seen enough improvement from Canelo that they feel confident most of it will translate positively into facing a slippery southpaw.

A few things to keep in mind is that:
          1. Canelo's fight with Lara was close. Whether you thought Lara won or not, it's not like Canelo was dominate and somehow still won on the cards
          2. Lara may be better than BJS, however, this could prove to be a poor assumption.

Given the two points above, I think we'll continue to see people favor Canelo on this match up. Additionally, seems to be an inclination to assume Canelo's stamina is significantly better at 168, and that will only help him apply pressure to BJS in comparison to when he was making 154 to fight Lara.

I like the fight, and think it will be competitive all throughout before the judges tell us who won.
          Butt stuff Butt stuff likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post

This is a fair point. I think most people have seen enough improvement from Canelo that they feel confident most of it will translate positively into facing a slippery southpaw.

A few things to keep in mind is that:
            1. Canelo's fight with Lara was close. Whether you thought Lara won or not, it's not like Canelo was dominate and somehow still won on the cards
            2. Lara may be better than BJS, however, this could prove to be a poor assumption.

Given the two points above, I think we'll continue to see people favor Canelo on this match up. Additionally, seems to be an inclination to assume Canelo's stamina is significantly better at 168, and that will only help him apply pressure to BJS in comparison to when he was making 154 to fight Lara.

I like the fight, and think it will be competitive all throughout before the judges tell us who won.
            very fair points. I agree with much of what you said.

Zaryu Zaryu likes this.

Comment

Canelo is not a complete fighter, but he's more complete than he used to be. I thought he just edged Lara due to a higher number of points scoring body shots than Lara's head punches.

Comment

I have to rewatch the Lara fight but it was very close.

Trout gave Canelo problems as well but he was very young.

What other southpaw has Canelo fought,? Kirkland ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
                  How does anyone know if this statement is true if since the Canelo fight, Lara hasn't faced anyone.......Canelo, whether you like it or not, or, believe it or not has faced champs at every turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
                    Canelo is not a complete fighter, but he's more complete than he used to be. I thought he just edged Lara due to a higher number of points scoring body shots than Lara's head punches.
                    To be fair to Canelo, I think he’s as complete as they come. He’s showed he can box/fight different ways and against different styles and sizes.

He’ll always have a bit of kryptonite in elite slickster, rangey, movers (who doesn’t?) but I think that’s also a paper beats rock type thing. Every single fighter has had a style that works best to beat their own.

Comment

Working...
                    X