Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Remains a Must-See, But Prelim Fighters Made Miami Tri...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Remains a Must-See, But Prelim Fighters Made Miami Tri...

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Music fans of a certain age may remember Jon Landau. He was a rock critic in Boston who caught a concert at a local venue in the early 1970s and essentially launched the career of a then-struggling New Jersey singer/songwriter named Bruce Springsteen with the following turn of phrase in a review: "I saw rock and roll future and its name is Bruce Springsteen. And on a night when I needed to feel young, he made me feel like I was hearing music for the very first time."
    [Click Here To Read More]

No disrespect to the writer of the article but the people tuned in to see the Main event not the undercard. The main event was hugely disappointing and therefore, ruined the entire card. A year from now no one is going to remember the under card of Canelo/Yildirim but they will remember the main event. However, I do like the author's creative spin on the event however.

Comment

That is what I like to read a unbiased, totally uninfluenced clear view of what took place in Miami.....

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        No disrespect to the writer of the article but the people tuned in to see the Main event not the undercard. The main event was hugely disappointing and therefore, ruined the entire card. A year from now no one is going to remember the under card of Canelo/Yildirim but they will remember the main event. However, I do like the author's creative spin on the event however.
        I know I'll remember that big azz Chinese dude getting his azz beat but still being a draw , that's some bs .

Comment

Canelo is a star in boxing but the momentum gained from the GGG fights has been lost and I don’t think it can even be regained even with a third fight with GGG. Not one person who knows i love boxing asked me about it leading up to the fight...why? No one knew he was fighting. That says a lot for how unhealthy boxing is at the moment. There was no promotion for this fight. I can recall when JC Superstar would fight contenders in the early 90s, even when his fights were “non title” stay busy fights everyone would talk about them. Even when his opponents were not Whitaker, Randall, Haugen, Taylor, etc etc....when he fougjt the likes of Ribisi, Jakubowski, etc etc people knew and watched. Showtime and King did an excellent job of promoting. You arnt seeing that with Canelo, I think that’s because the fans really don’t have access to him. I wish he would get away from Edward Hearn, dayzin, and move through his own promotional company and fight on ESPN, FOX, Showtime, he’ll even a contract with NBC or something. Boxing is unhealthy right now, and like it or not, Canelo has become a manufactured star. We are told he is the biggest thing in boxing but if that were the case why is he not a crossover star? Why do we not see him everywhere? On commercials? Advertisements of his fights? Being interviewed on late night talk shows etc etc? Dayzin realised they overpaid Canelo and it was breaking them but they are still doing the same. I’m sure this will anger the Canelo boy band fans and they’ll act all hard on the net but rather than be a bunch of emotional little Gogo Speedo boys, prove me wrong....like a man

Comment

I've been A Canelo fan since the Matthew Hatton fight and the Avni fight was trash. When people call a fight a glorified sparring session this was just a sparing session without the glory. Am I still a Canelo fan? Dam right. But I'm not defending this fight or the Callum Smith fight. I will say at least the Billy Joe Saunders fight is a unification fight but somehow I get the feeling it won't be much more competitive than Canelo's last two fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
              Canelo is a star in boxing but the momentum gained from the GGG fights has been lost and I don’t think it can even be regained even with a third fight with GGG. Not one person who knows i love boxing asked me about it leading up to the fight...why? No one knew he was fighting. That says a lot for how unhealthy boxing is at the moment. There was no promotion for this fight. I can recall when JC Superstar would fight contenders in the early 90s, even when his fights were “non title” stay busy fights everyone would talk about them. Even when his opponents were not Whitaker, Randall, Haugen, Taylor, etc etc....when he fougjt the likes of Ribisi, Jakubowski, etc etc people knew and watched. Showtime and King did an excellent job of promoting. You arnt seeing that with Canelo, I think that’s because the fans really don’t have access to him. I wish he would get away from Edward Hearn, dayzin, and move through his own promotional company and fight on ESPN, FOX, Showtime, he’ll even a contract with NBC or something. Boxing is unhealthy right now, and like it or not, Canelo has become a manufactured star. We are told he is the biggest thing in boxing but if that were the case why is he not a crossover star? Why do we not see him everywhere? On commercials? Advertisements of his fights? Being interviewed on late night talk shows etc etc? Dayzin realised they overpaid Canelo and it was breaking them but they are still doing the same. I’m sure this will anger the Canelo boy band fans and they’ll act all hard on the net but rather than be a bunch of emotional little Gogo Speedo boys, prove me wrong....like a man
              A lot of your points have been a long time coming and are not specific to Canelo. Boxing used to produce the biggest stars, but somewhere along the line (in the late 90s, early 2000s I think) the crossover stars dwindled to the point of non-existence. As big as Manny is, Mayweather is the only true crossover star of the last ten, even twenty, years. People moaned about the Klitschkos being boring, but they were actually more famous than Canelo to the general public. I think PPV did the sport a lot of damage (and continues to do so). We went through a period where crossover stars like Tyson and Holyfield shifted to PPV and then morphed into a realm where fighters with any kind of following started doing PPV before they had any kind of crossover levels of fame. Errol Spence is big enough to do PPVs but your average man or woman in the street wouldn't have a clue who he is. As for Canelo specifically, it doesn't help that he doesn't speak english. Your late night shows are not going to put him on if he can't chat to them. The trend of the internet/social media/digital networks has also affected how we consume music and movies and this is affecting sports as well -- there is a trend to hyperpersonlisation that means mass crossover appeal isn't required to makes lots of money.

Media used to be about mass appeal, with less choice for consumers. Now consumers have a dizzying amount of choice: more content for narrower audiences. That is a trend affecting basically everything, not just boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                Not really ,I knew the heavyweight fight was going to be better .that’s what I was looking forward to . I didn’t actually pay attention to the main event the UFC heavyweight fight was also on .

Comment

P4P cherry picker. The undercards weren't that good, come on... The forest fight was the best out of them all. All the fights were lopsided with young fighters fighting old fighters or some huge disadvantage. Writer is being paid to write something to help save face of this ripoff ve ue. Oh look the undercards were good lol yeah, thats like saying digging through a pile of crap only to find a nickel.

Comment

Working...
                  X