“Assault in the Ring” Exposes 1983 Resto-Collins Scandal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Assault in the Ring” Exposes 1983 Resto-Collins Scandal

By Michael Swann

On June 16th 1983, a date that will long live in boxing infamy, junior middleweight prospect Billy Collins Jr., 14-0 (11), fought journeyman Luis Resto, 19-7-3 (8), at sold out Madison Square Garden on the Roberto Duran - Davey Moore under card. Collins, promoted by Top Rank and a heavy favorite, took a frightful beating in losing a 10 round decision, after which Collins’ face was simply grotesque, leaving him virtually blind. It was a case of a fighter with too much courage.

After the fight, Billy’s father, Billy Sr., working in his son’s corner, felt Resto’s gloves and discovered that a significant amount of padding had been removed, later determined by the New York State Athletic Commission as two ounces. The padding was removed from small holes made in the palms of each glove. As a consequence, Collins absorbed hundreds of nearly bare knuckle punches.

Subsequently both Resto and his trainer Carlos “Panama” Lewis were convicted of assault, conspiracy, and criminal possession of a deadly weapon. Both were banned from boxing for life. Resto received a sentence of one to three years, Lewis two to six. Both served two and a half years. [details]

**** like that is a desgrace

Comment

I really want to watch this. It's always sad to wonder what if Collins would've been had he not suffered such horrible fate.

Comment

this is no different then what plasterito did to cotto, now cotto is ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by bbos View Post
          this is no different then what plasterito did to cotto, now cotto is ruined.
          lol, how'd i know

Comment

I saw a preview of this on youtube. I felt chills down my spine while watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
              lol, how'd i know
              because of the striking similarities

Comment

This was some shmaefull **** and a reall black day for Boxing!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
                  This was some shmaefull **** and a reall black day for Boxing!!!!!!!!
                  report for racism

jk lol

Comment

Duran went on to pound Moore later that night. What a brutal night

Comment

Working...
                    X