No announcement yet.

The Klitschko-Chagaev Clash Won’t Re-establish Lineage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Klitschko-Chagaev Clash Won’t Re-establish Lineage

By Brent Matteo Alderson - The heavyweight championship lineage has only been broken three times in heavyweight history. The first time was when Gene Tunney retired in 1928, the second time was when Rocky Marciano retired in 1956 and then the third time was when Lennox Lewis retired in 2003. [details]

Why the **** not recognize Wlad-Chag as the champ? I doubt VK cares that his bro is pickin up the belt he retired wit. Them 2 ain't gonna fight, so nothin wrong wit Wlad gettin the belt for beatin Chag.

Comment

OH FFS!!!!!! This guy can't even get Chagaev's record straight (its 25-0 not 24-0)
      The problem is the American media.. what exactly do they want???

And really who gives Fuck what they think anyway.???

They wont be happy until it's one of their own.. any American who would beat the KLits would instantly be hailed as the "Man"

This "We wont accept Klitschko no matter what" crap is getting redundant..

I am sick of Opinion being passed off as news..

Comment

What the author perhaps fail to understand is that there's a difference between being The Ring Champion and the linear champion. Ring Magazine has its rules and by their rules this fight is for the Ring title.

It's not the first time that Ring Magazine recognizes a champion without that champion being linear. They did it also when the made Roy Jones the LHW champion who was not the linear champ. This means that today Ring Magazine has an LHW champ who's not the linear holder (who happens to be Zsolt Erdei).

We can get the same situation if Lennox makes an (ill-advised) come-back.

It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          By Brent Matteo Alderson - The heavyweight championship lineage has only been broken three times in heavyweight history. The first time was when Gene Tunney retired in 1928, the second time was when Rocky Marciano retired in 1956 and then the third time was when Lennox Lewis retired in 2003. [details]
          This is why one of them needs to go down. Haye would bring back the excitement and ultimately resurrect the sport. And do Wladimir a favor if he fights Vitali or Vitali a favor if he fights Wladimir.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            What the author perhaps fail to understand is that there's a difference between being The Ring Champion and the linear champion. Ring Magazine has its rules and by their rules this fight is for the Ring title.

It's not the first time that Ring Magazine recognizes a champion without that champion being linear. They did it also when the made Roy Jones the LHW champion who was not the linear champ. This means that today Ring Magazine has an LHW champ who's not the linear holder (who happens to be Zsolt Erdei).

We can get the same situation if Lennox makes an (ill-advised) come-back.

It is what it is.
            Think Lewis knows better than that and is a rare case of a financially stable retired boxer. Speaking of whom, he gave young Vitali his chance when he was exactly 37, the exact same age Vitali is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
              OH FFS!!!!!! This guy can't even get Chagaev's record straight (its 25-0 not 24-0)
              The problem is the American media.. what exactly do they want???

And really who gives Fuck what they think anyway.???

They wont be happy until it's one of their own.. any American who would beat the KLits would instantly be hailed as the "Man"

This "We wont accept Klitschko no matter what" crap is getting redundant..

I am sick of Opinion being passed off as news..
              REAL TALK.

It's like there is a medal for the lil better ****** who'll hate and talk **** the most.
              Dudes like Atlas think they are heroes by openly disrespectin bros heavy champs. It's shamefull because the brothers didn't deserve all the **** they can hear.

The most funny is,these yanks are complainin about two brothers bein at the top of the division,but NO PROPS FOR THAT.
              I can't believe how these fools are unfair.

This *** of journalist and the others talk like two brothers at the top is a problem instead of a huge and awesome accomplishment.

You can see how the guys hate.Only for that,I can't wait to see the next HBO hope eatin the canevas.

I'm with you Wlad,grab dat ****in Ring Belt.

Comment

People need to learn definitions. BattlingNelson got it right.

And there will be no lineal champ to come while both brothers are champion. Wlad will have to suffice with the IBF, WBO, IBO, and Ring title. You know, if he took the WBA title too, I bet he still wouldn't be considered undisputed Champ. But, I do believe he's reserved that belt for Vitali anyways.

Comment

I agree this isn't the linear title fight as long as there ate multi title holders.someone needs to win the WBA/WBC/ibf titles.the wbo is not a world title in my eyes.it never was recognized until a few years ago.the belt vitali has is the missing ingredient to a linear champion.wbo is mickey mouse.herbie hide held that title & many more undeserving boxers of the past.fransico damiani was NOT a world champ in my eyes but he won the wbo title.winner of sat must fight vitali to achieve a unified champ.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                    I agree this isn't the linear title fight as long as there ate multi title holders.someone needs to win the WBA/WBC/ibf titles.the wbo is not a world title in my eyes.it never was recognized until a few years ago.the belt vitali has is the missing ingredient to a linear champion.wbo is mickey mouse.herbie hide held that title & many more undeserving boxers of the past.fransico damiani was NOT a world champ in my eyes but he won the wbo title.winner of sat must fight vitali to achieve a unified champ.
                    Linearity has nothing to do with multiple titleholders but is all about the man who beat the man who beat the man.....

Wheter or not some alphabet boy is better or worse than the others is always debateable. Some objective info on the bastards right here:

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    17 weightclasses and 68 'world' champions (potentially more if you include small governing bodies such as IBO, WBF etc.). That's the chaotic situation in professional boxing today.

How did it get this far?

Some objective info FYI regarding boxings socalled governing bodies.

WBA (World Boxing Association): Based in Venezuela. It's the oldest and most renowned (if such a term can be used regarding these guys) organization. It was founded in 1921 as National Boxing Association (NBA) and was renamed WBA in 1962. Famous champions include Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano.

Confusion is the keyword when the organization is described these days. They have a 'Superchampion' when one of their champions unifies against one of the other 3 major beltholders. The regular title is then placed in a new championship fight pitting 2 lower-ranked fighters.

WBC (World Boxing Council): A decadelong struggle between between WBA and the powerful New York State Athletic Commision let to the founding of the WBC in 1963. But it took untill 1978 before the organization crowned it's first heavyweight champion in Ken Norton. Before that the WBA champion was also the WBC champion. The organization is based in Mexico.

IBF (International Boxing Federation): This organization, which is based in New Jersey, originates from one of the many regional federations of the WBA. In 1983 the president of the United States Boxing Association, lost the election as the chairman of the WBA during the annual convention. As a protest he founded the IBF.

One of the great IBF champions is Felix Trinidad who was the IBF champ from 1993 to 2002.

WBO (World Boxing Organization): The WBO was founded in 1988 and is also an offspring from the WBA. There was a minority within the organization which wasn't satisfied with certain rules and regulations within the WBA. WBO is based in Puerto Rico.

The WBO rankings contained in the 1990'ies primarily european fighters and to this day is not in the highest regard in the United States although it's rising.

Comment

Working...
                    X