No announcement yet.

13 Through 15: A Look at The Championship Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Through 15: A Look at The Championship Rounds

For generations, boxing has had to defend itself, often against shallow, emotionally charged assaults based on a foundation of factual inaccuracy and rage. The argument has been maintained that boxing is brutal and inherently violent with a history strewn with corruption, gruesome injury and deaths. [details]

Boxing should go back to 15 round fights, rounds 13-15 are the true championship rounds IMO.

Comment

With out 13-15 Hearns would have won the series of fight against Leonard.

Comment

I was contemplating this the other night which fighters from today would do well in 15 round fights, there is a whole different pacing to them.

15 rounders really favor the marathon boxers (fighters that waste virtually no motion and use their energy wisely), fighters that like to throw a bunches of punches (100+ a round) would really become a thing of the past, I mean fighters could try it but those last 3 rounds would be brutal on that type of fighter.

I am cool with 12 rounders, but 15 rounders are definetly a whole different ball of wax and it would be interesting to see how the best of today would deal with that kind of marathon fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
          Boxing should go back to 15 round fights, rounds 13-15 are the true championship rounds IMO.
          co-sign...

Comment

interesting this came up. About a year ago, after the De la Hoya-Mayweather fight, there was an article on Esquire magazine( i think) talking about this very thing. It stated that boxing needed its 'glory rounds' back. too bad, they wont ever be back.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
              With out 13-15 Hearns would have won the series of fight against Leonard.
              Or Leonard may have turned on the gas earlier knowing there were less rounds. Same with Marciano-Walcott and other come from behind stoppages in rounds 13-15.

Impossible to tell, fighters are not robots (except maybe Felix Trinidad) so they'd react to different situations.

Comment

15 rounders need to come back IMO, seperate the men from the boys.

Comment

I'd love to watch Mike Tyson vs. Bonecrusher Smith for 15 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                    For generations, boxing has had to defend itself, often against shallow, emotionally charged assaults based on a foundation of factual inaccuracy and rage. The argument has been maintained that boxing is brutal and inherently violent with a history strewn with corruption, gruesome injury and deaths. [details]
                    The "logic" in these examples are lacking.

To say that Conn would've definitely beat Louis if it were scheduled for 12, Archer against Griffith, and Charles against Marciano is unfair because it's not as if the fighters are going to fight the same knowing there are only 12 rounds. They react to the situation at hand. Maybe those guys do win decisions, maybe the other guys turn up the pace and rally to score late KOs. It's unknown.

Furthermore, the official scoring in Marciano-Charles 1 had Marciano ahead by 4 rounds after 15 and another by 3. Giving Rocky the last 3 rounds, that fight was tied after 12.

Comment

Working...
                    X