No announcement yet.

Greg Page, A Boxing Tragedy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Page, A Boxing Tragedy

By Michael Swann - The AP reported it last Monday, shockingly straight to the point: “Greg Page, a former heavyweight boxing champion who suffered a severe brain injury in a 2001 fight, has died at his Louisville home. He was 50.”

The AP story went on to report that “The March 9, 2001 fight left Page in a coma for nearly a week. He then had a stroke during post-fight surgery. He was paralyzed on his left side and received intensive physical therapy.”

Page’s wife, Patricia, attributed his death to injuries incurred from that fight.

I suppose in this day of fractured titles, the name of Greg Page may not mean much to younger boxing fans today. But in the early eighties it meant a lot.

In the first place, just being a boxer born in Louisville meant a lot at the time. Muhammad Ali was from there. So was another heavyweight champion, James Ellis. While enjoying a highly successful amateur career, Page sparred with Ali at age 15 and actually fought a three round exhibition with “The Greatest” in 1976. Many knowledgeable boxing people even touted Page as Ali’s successor. [details]

R.I.P Man

Comment

R.I.P Page

Comment

R.I.P. Page

Comment

While boxing fans jubilant on the top side of boxing, below is the dark side that most doesn't like to see it.

Farewell Page.. Rest In Peace!

Comment

R.I.P Page

Comment

Daryl Crow is a dick and belongs where he is at.

Comment

Sad to hear. RIP Greg.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

God Bless

Always a great Man.

Comment

Working...
                  X