No announcement yet.

This Time, Boxing Has Adapted to Globalization

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Time, Boxing Has Adapted to Globalization

By Brent Matteo Alderson - I picked up a Ring Magazine from the 1950s and with just a glance I read something about how the sport of boxing was dying. Well I guess some things never change because boxing’s demise is something that has regularly been mistakenly predicted since the 18th century. Despite the negative outlook boxing is here to stay. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    The sport is even breaking attendance records in Australia with the villainous Anthony Mundine and the down to earth Danny Green. [details]
    Interesting that Darchinyan says that Australia is a great country to live in but not to fight in, because, he claims, boxing is not popular there.

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    And with successful fighters like Arthur Abraham and Vanes Martirosyan, boxing has become the preeminent sport in the world’s Armenian communities. [details]
    Not to mention Darchinyan!

Comment

Well, maybe this article is little bit exagerrated but correct in the main point - champions from other countries than USA and UK makes boxing popular in different regions of the world and lowering interest to this sport in USA.
      As for Klitschko brothers - it is no doubt their achievment to rise interest to boxing in Germany and to make boxers from former USSR more confident in their abilities. Klitschko's started new era in boxing and only time would say how good or bad this era is.
      I take all current talks about "crisis" in heavyweight as bitter disappointment of US fans - their compatriots are no longer best in this, most prestigious category. And, well, I can't say that it doesn't make me feel a little proud of the fact that the best heavyweights are Ukrainians
      So, boxing developing itself, no matter do we like the way of its advancement or not. Maybe "jab, jab, jab grab" is boring... But also maybe it is only depends of how to present it to public - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WZyAkcrqvQ
      Last edited by Norton; 04-25-2009, 03:10 AM.

Comment

I feel the general public, fans and die hard fans start to believe that boxing is dying because it doesn't get the most attention, because now you have so many sports that weren't popular or even around back in the day and now they get their share of coverage, leaving less for boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Madlib View Post
          I feel the general public, fans and die hard fans start to believe that boxing is dying because it doesn't get the most attention, because now you have so many sports that weren't popular or even around back in the day and now they get their share of coverage, leaving less for boxing.
          Good point. But I think that boxing will survive in this competition. This sport has too much history and traditions to die easily or lose to newfangled shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
            Interesting that Darchinyan says that Australia is a great country to live in but not to fight in, because, he claims, boxing is not popular there.

Not to mention Darchinyan!
            I was quite surprised, that Darchinyan wasn`t mentioned as Armenian top boxer...

Not to say he is in top 10 P4P...

Comment

Originally posted by Madlib View Post
              IMO it is just evolving at the moment...

The only problem it has right now is the enormous number of sanctioning bodies. Well, IMO, the lack of American Heavyweights is also a threat...

The majority just can`t understand how can one division have SO MANY CHAMPIONS... Ordinary people (not hardcore boxing fans) know Mike Tyson... And what they know is that at his time he was the ONLY champion in the world... NOW we have 4 HW champions... I`m OK with two brothers being champions at a time, cause that would be a new page in the history of the sport... But the WBAValuevChagaevRuiz Championship pisses me off...

Comment

Working...
              X