No announcement yet.

It’s Do or Die Time For Several Big Names

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s Do or Die Time For Several Big Names

By Dave Sholler - If you are a glass-half-full type of person, you’ll definitely see the first six months of 2009 as a blessing.

We’ve got mega-fights like Antonio Margarito vs. Shane Mosley.

We’ve got comeback fights like Kelly Pavlik vs. Marco Antonio Rubio and Miguel Cotto vs. Michael Jennings.

And of course, we’ve got proposed bouts that make you curious like Winky Wright vs. Paul Williams.

But beneath the obvious abundance of fights early into the New Year lies a common theme. Many of these participants are teetering on a fine line of failure meets flourish. Taken one step further, many of these boxers are in “backs against the wall,” scenarios, where a loss is just as devastating as owing money on tax day.

Today, we’ll take a look at some of these boxers and identify just how badly they need to earn a victory. We’ll also clue you in on how they might pull off a win. As you read on, ask yourself what happens if they can’t muster up the energy needed to produce a win. Ask, are they worthy of another big bout or is it back to the drawing board? [details]

My take on these guys:

SSM will wage war, but will be taken out late by Marg.

Pavlik will have lil difficulty wit Rubio and should handily stop him.

Cotto will maul Jennings, but will get KTFO worse by Marg in a the rematch.

Winky will be to rusty to keep up wit Pwill. He'll win some early rds, but will be outworked to a decision.

Tarver will get schooled by Dawson again.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      My take on these guys:

Winky will be to rusty to keep up wit Pwill. He'll win some early rds, but will be outworked to a decision.

we agree on every fight lol

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        My take on these guys:

Not bad mang...but I think Williams seriously makes Winky consider quitting on his stool, and I don't see Mosley getting stopped by Margarito. I lost 5 large on Tarver with my bookee(took him as a 5-1 dog) so he can go **** himself. That being said, he is a rematch kind of guy, but he looked shot the last time.

I also think Jennings wins by 1st round KO....not.
        Last edited by FaustoGeraci; 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Oh...if Hatton loses to Pacquiao I think he seriously considers retirement and that could cost him huge $$$ down the line so he belonged on that list too. Same goes for Margarito, if he loses to Mosley or Cotto he will struggle to get big fights.

Comment

The writers an alarmist. Its not do or die for Cotto or Pavlik. One loss doesnt derail a career. We need to stop playing this silly hbo game. It ruins the sport.

Guys lose and they come back. Its how it goes. Since when is a guy finished after two losses?? There would be no Hopkins, Marquez, Pac, etc. All those guys have more than 2 losses. Should we write them off too?? I guess these guys need to make up things to write.

Comment

we need to cooto to beat marg in the rematch to set up the trilogy

Comment

what a waste of time this article was...So mosley doesn't stand a chance...Hey buddy this is boxing, every fighter has a chance and for cotto and pavlik like someone else already said it but, it is not do or die for either. They aren't even 30 yet and you are already writing them off.

Comment

If Mosley loses, he's gone.
                  If Cotto loses, he's gone.
                  If Pavlik loses he's gone.

Comment

Marg will beat SSM after a fiery start from SSM
                    Pavlik will beat Rubio by decision
                    Cotto will KO Jennings
                    Williams will open up Winky Wright

Anyone wanna bet on all these? haha

Comment

Working...