No announcement yet.

Why the Best American Heavyweights Aren’t Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Best American Heavyweights Aren’t Boxing

By Dave Sholler - The next great American heavyweight is probably grabbing rebounds right now. Standing 6’5 and weighing 220 pounds, the 16-year-old freak of nature is probably using his long, muscular arms and athletic frame to dominate other high school sop****res. Like a young Dwight Howard, he likely records double-doubles on a nightly basis.

[details]

Could not have said it better.

Comment

no that not it.....

.....we need HW'S that are in shape. but america is so ****ing lazy right now to just get out and go run that i see a pic of a esclator that leads to a gym.......no one want to be in shape when that got 250 pounds of blubber on them!!

Comment

Originally posted by detluv View Post
        no that not it.....

.....we need HW'S that are in shape. but america is so ****ing lazy right now to just get out and go run that i see a pic of a esclator that leads to a gym.......no one want to be in shape when that got 250 pounds of blubber on them!!
        So what fat out of shape american heavyweights would be good if they were in better shape? I think you missed the point. Basketball and football players are not out of shape.

Comment

Americans are living a more sedentary lifestyle as a result of technology. At the same time, the big guys are interested in sports that are going to offer them greater financial rewards and less risk than boxing. There is nothing wrong with that. Boxing is a very dangerous sport and only a few get to the top to reap huge financial benefits.

Originally posted by detluv View Post
          no that not it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trevbutler View Post
            So what fat out of shape american heavyweights would be good if they were in better shape? I think you missed the point. Basketball and football players are not out of shape.
            but to say basketball and football is the reason why the best american HW are not boxing is silly....basketball and football are big in america but it not the reason to just blame them....

you wanna blame someone...blame tyson....when he retired and the klits gotten the tittle...people just stop caring..

Comment

I disagree with this article...

just because you can doesn't mean that you will.

it's like saying there's not enough doctors because they're all becoming lawyers... OR like saying every fat ass out there CAN loose all that weight and get that great body, but will they?!

my sport (boxing) is a jealous sport, you gotta want it, you gotta have that warrior/gladiator mentality, and want to be in a fight, in the squared circle. All of those basketball/football players KNOW boxing exists, BUT they decided they'd rather shoot a ball or catch one rather than take a PUNCH. they have already been CULLED without setting a foot in the ring! lol they were never fighters or meant to be in ring to begin with! So the author's theory is really therefore only trying to find an excuse. They lost the fight before it even started.

Comment

Erik Morales is a perfect example of someone that was not athletically gifted BUT had the fighter's spirit and heart.

Comment

Originally posted by aztec_warriors View Post
                  I disagree with this article...

just because you can doesn't mean that you will.

it's like saying there's not enough doctors because they're all becoming lawyers... OR like saying every fat ass out there CAN loose all that weight and get that great body, but will they?!

my sport (boxing) is a jealous sport, you gotta want it, you gotta have that warrior/gladiator mentality, and want to be in a fight, in the squared circle. All of those basketball/football players KNOW boxing exists, BUT they decided they'd rather shoot a ball or catch one rather than take a PUNCH. they have already been CULLED without setting a foot in the ring! lol they were never fighters or meant to be in ring to begin with! So the author's theory is really therefore only trying to find an excuse. They lost the fight before it even started.
                  YOUR sport, huh? Tell me Sherlock, if a Mexican had a shot at making 9 figures in the NBA, or suffering brain damage, which do you think he'd choose?
                  The young black kids in the US that are the cream of the crop in basketball are pretty much guaranteed at least 8 figures the moment they step into the NBA.
                  I don't call that nothing but COMMON SENSE.....

Comment

This article doesn't go nearly far enough. It ain't just the heavyweights, it's everything from middleweight and up. How many elite athletes are around in any of those divisions anymore? A handful at best, maybe not even.

People try to say super middle is a good division now, but just cuz a division's competitive doesn't mean it's good. It just means everyone sucks equally. Who are the best super middles supposed to be? Kessler? Bute? LOL. The average tailback who gets cut from NFL training camp dominates those guys as a pure athlete.

Comment

Working...
                    X