No announcement yet.

Taylor’s Ready to Prove That His Recession is Over

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor’s Ready to Prove That His Recession is Over

By Dave Sholler - Former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor and the United States economy have a lot in common. A few years ago, Taylor was on top of the world. The Little Rock, Arkansas native was like a stock trader with a hot hand, he just couldn’t lose. Taylor (27-2, 17 KOS) put the word “bull” in bull market and started an upward trend that looked like it would never fall.

Much like the U.S. economy though, signs of decline started to creep in for Taylor. In his 2006 fight with Winky Wright, Taylor nearly lost his middleweight crown and was battered by the southpaw. After rebounding to defeat Kassim Ouma to end the year, Taylor returned in May 2007 and barely edge out junior middleweight challenger Cory Spinks.

Clearly, there were causes for concern. Jermain’s once potent jab seemed to dissipate. His killer instinct was gone, too. And his championship pedigree? It was undoubtedly questioned.

Things got even worse after the Spinks fight. Two straight losses to Kelly Pavlik ended Taylor’s championship reign and suddenly Jermain’s stock plummeted. The Razorback was no longer the world’s 160-pound superpower. Instead, his skills were deemed in recession and his future considered bleak.

As Taylor prepares for Saturday’s HBO bout against Jeff Lacy at 168 pounds, he yearns for a chance to break the downturn. He’s tired of scratching and clawing to prove that he can still be a champion. He’s through with experiencing emotional fluctuations. When he steps foot inside the Vanderbilt University Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville, Tennessee this weekend, Taylor wants to spark the flame that once put him atop the sport. Quite simply, Taylor wants to be afforded the opportunity to be considered a force again. [details]

Lay might get some punches in in the 1st 3 rds, but after that Taylor should own him.

Comment

taylor will get this fight

Comment

Check out the height difference:

Comment

Height doesn't really mean much, Taylor will more than likely whip his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Clottey View Post
            Height doesn't really mean much, Taylor will more than likely whip his ass.
            I agree in some cases, but height does mean something for Taylor, who is most successful when he can box from a distance and outreach his opponent, making his jab more useful.

Lacy OTOH is a better inside fighter, which against Taylor means he will have to get through the jab to do his best work. And Taylor likes to tie up on the inside, so for Lacy to get his best work done it's going to have to be a slow, clinch-filled night.

Comment

i think that taylor will win this fight, but i think alot of people are taking lacy for granted.

lacy does have a real chance in this fight. taylor has proven that he can be hit (alot), and his chin may not be the best. lacy doesn't really have a defense to speak of either, but he also has alot to prove. in taylors last outing, he fought scared, and just to survive(pavlik/taylor 2).

all i'm saying is lacy has a real chance in this fight. i think taylor will win, but to count lacy out, is not smart, imo.
              Last edited by HandSpeed303; 11-15-2008, 12:16 PM.

Comment

i think taylor withhin 8 rounds

Comment

first of all i think people are really undestimating Lacy in this fight.

Second of all, I think Taylor knocks Lacy out late in the fight

Comment

Go Taylor!!

I can see it go the distance though.

Comment

Working...
                    X