Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins' Legendary Quest Blocked By Calzaghe and Jones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins' Legendary Quest Blocked By Calzaghe and Jones?

By John Hively - Bernard “the Executioner” Hopkins may have received psychological redemption when he beat Kelly Pavlik a few weeks ago. The victory also enhanced his all-time status, but for some fans and pundits of boxing, it may still have left him playing historical and perhaps psychological second fiddle to Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones. Perhaps that’s why the Executioner is making a big stink about wanting to fight either one. Maybe Bernard thinks he still has something to prove. [details]

Get the **** out of here with that Bernard Hopkins nutthugging BS. We know he's a HOFer, but to insist that he is a legend is premature to say the least.

Comment

there is one proublem i have with the article the author say hopkins is still a legend even with losses to joe and roy but at the end he mentions Leornard,Hagler,Duran but doesn't mention Hearns who lost to leornard and hagler

Comment

Don't most people already consider B-HOP a greater fight than Calzaghe?

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
          Don't most people already consider B-HOP a greater fight than Calzaghe?
          Maybe. Perhaps that's what bugs B-Hop. Both of these guys beat him in ugly, decision victories, and he feels as though they owe him something.

They don't. They are going out with a bang, and getting a lot of attention for it. Hopkins will always be mentioned with Jones and Calzaghe, but will be the third guy; like Hearns was with Hagler and Leonard, like Frazier was with Ali and Foreman.

He's an all-time p4p great, no doubt, and a top 5 all-time middleweight champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
            Maybe. Perhaps that's what bugs B-Hop. Both of these guys beat him in ugly, decision victories, and he feels as though they owe him something.

They don't. They are going out with a bang, and getting a lot of attention for it. Hopkins will always be mentioned with Jones and Calzaghe, but will be the third guy; like Hearns was with Hagler and Leonard, like Frazier was with Ali and Foreman.
            He's an all-time p4p great, no doubt, and a top 5 all-time middleweight champion.
            The bold is spot on in B-Hop probably feels. But IMO and many others I believe that it will mentioned as Jones, B-HOP then Clazaghe. If Calzaghr beats Jones then B-HOP will defintely be the 3rd guy mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by venerablefist View Post
              there is one proublem i have with the article the author say hopkins is still a legend even with losses to joe and roy but at the end he mentions Leornard,Hagler,Duran but doesn't mention Hearns who lost to leornard and hagler
              I think because Hearns is ranked at a WW all time great not Middle Weight.

Comment

this author is an idiot........

first of all, besides the very first pro fight of his career, the only other consensus loss hopkins has is the one to roy jones........just as the taylor and calzaghe fights were ruled in favor of his opponent, there are many ppl out there who just as easily feel hopkins won all 3 of those fights........

that's the reason why there really is no need for a joe calzaghe rematch, should joe not want to give him one....first of all it was a SD, and like i noted before many writers, fans, and fighters alike feel that decision went to the wrong man......the court of public opinion can be stronger than the judges' rulings sometimes. the roy jones rematch is much more important to hopkins at this point, that's why i'll be rooting for him saturday....

perhaps the more important fact being overlooked, is the fact that all hopkins's losses seem to be very disputed....besides his first fight, and the first rjj fight, no man can claim they w/o a doubt beat him....i don't care how you look at the taylor and calzaghe fights......

but i stopped reading this after the writer stated, "hopkins had to fake a low blow to get a badly needed rest b/c of the POUNDING he was taking." ????????????????

its like this guy cant make up his mind. one minute he's praising the guy, then the next he writes bs like that above. i dont know which fight he saw, but i've yet ti hear anybody, including those who think calzaghe really did win, say hopkins took a "pounding" in that fight...........

Comment

who's going out with a bang? only one of these guys win on saturday, i'd doubt the loser will be saying he went out w/ a bang......in fact if hopkins retires now, it can be said HE went out w/ a bang........

its definitely premature to say hopkins will be mentioned THIRD behind roy jones and calzaghe.....roy jones beat him before hopkins became hopkins, and like i said earlier, the calzaghe fight was, is, and always will be a very disputed decision.........

sorry to say, but calzaghe will never get the recognition of a roy jones or a bernard hopkins, whether he beats roy or not...........

the order in which hopkins and roy will be mentioned determines whether or roy ends his career on a great note......those bad losses he took really hurt him, and the competition he has faced since doesn't speak well for him. when was the last time hopkins fought anybody not on somebody's pound for pound list? as of right now, i'd put hopkins slightly ahead of jones, but like i said it depends on what happens saturday, and what happens after that.....calzaghe will always be third when mentioned with these two.....thats just how it is.

Comment

[B] What's up ASSANGEL. This DARKMAN the uneducated thug. First off if you haven't read my reply to your post on the JOE CALZAGHE PLANS TO GO OUT ON TOP article I suggest you read it. You might learn something. Stop trying to assume how Hopkins actually feels about the fights with Joe and Roy. What are you a Psychologist? This is boxing man, enough with yor false assumptions. Stick to the facts. There going out with a bang? Getting alot of attention for it? What is this a popularity contest. I hope Roy beats Joe ( although I highly doubt it.) So hopkins could send him off with a real bang after he kicks his ass. Anyway Roy already went out with a bang literally! Two times after he got knocked the **** out by tarver and johnson. He should have stayed out of boxing instead of embarrasing himself and his legacy with the third tarver fight. Dude Stop mentioning Joe as one of the all time greats. You insult the greats with these foolish remarks. Bernard and Jones, two of the all time greats. Joe, perhaps the best british fighter of all time but that's were it stops. As far as who is greater between Roy and Hopkins? That is a good question and I promise you that Hopkins will go down in history as the greater of the two.

Comment

Working...
                    X