No announcement yet.

Aftermath of a Knockout - Never The Same

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermath of a Knockout - Never The Same

By Shawn Krest - And he was never the same.

There may not be six sadder words in boxing. They are usually accompanied by a doleful look downward and perhaps a shake of the head. [details]

Depends on how it happens. Some KO's are exceptionally brutal, but some can be forgotten or used as motivation for a guy to come back stronger. A guy who gets dropped outta nowhere will likely have a better chance at rebuildin himself than a guy who gets punished over a long sequence of rds before bein stopped.

Comment

ya it can also depend on the overall mental toughness of that said fighter . . . but i guess thats a given.

Comment

Quick question for everyone, do you think its worse if a fighter just gets knocked out cuz of a mistake or something in a fight, or if the fighter knows he is inferior and keeps taking a beating after coming to the realization that there is absolutely nothing he can do but try to survive, and just takes that massive beating until time finally saves him.

Whos worse after? The fighter who got knocked out or the guy who had everything taken away but kept on fighting knowing that every second he was to take a beating to the better fighter and had no chance of winning?

Comment

its so individual to the fighter i would think, but a flash ko in the early rounds when the fighter is could i would assume is better then at complete beating outclassing and eventual ko. but no matter what both types of losses leave there mark on the fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman18 View Post
            Quick question for everyone, do you think its worse if a fighter just gets knocked out cuz of a mistake or something in a fight, or if the fighter knows he is inferior and keeps taking a beating after coming to the realization that there is absolutely nothing he can do but try to survive, and just takes that massive beating until time finally saves him.

Whos worse after? The fighter who got knocked out or the guy who had everything taken away but kept on fighting knowing that every second he was to take a beating to the better fighter and had no chance of winning?
            Great point! That's why I justify Cotto quitting against Margarito. Look at Vasquez who's a warrior and quit against Marquez knowing that his nose was holding him down, he did bounce back, I'm not saying Cotto is going to beat Margarito or viceversa but he did the right thing.

Comment

I think the whole "never the same again after a knockout" theory is different in every case.. depending on the knock out victim and the knocker out (is that even proper english??), the fashion of the knockout and obviously the stage of your career

But this is where true warriors & fighters are separated, to come back from a brutal knockout is a test of mental strength - but again confidence comes in to play. Obviously it makes the fighter more aware that he can be knocked out but he has to be confident that it's not going to happen otherwise the body will sub-consciencely prepare for the knockout.

In todays fight sports too much is put on losing that "0". When in actual fact its just a matter of probability as two top professionals capable of producing a knockout blow go at it.

But with that being said a flash knock down early in your career would be the easiest to get over, rather than being brutally knocked out or even beaten to the point of submission later on in your career when your skills are supposedly fully developed and your ring experience is of age, but even then everyone can have a bad night.

Comment

interesting report

Comment

Working...
                X