No announcement yet.

Greatest Jewish Fighters in The History of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Jewish Fighters in The History of Boxing

By Sherman Lambert - For reasons unknown, Jews are often stereotyped as being non-athletic. Nonetheless, Jews have helped shape and at times dominated the tough sport of boxing. A number of Jewish boxers rank among the all time best in their weight divisions and quite a few are enshrined in the Boxing Hall of Fame. The founder of Ring Magazine, Nat Fleisher, recognized 7 Jewish boxers on his list of the all time best in the traditional eight weight divisions. You’ll find at least one Jewish boxer on almost any list of the 20th century’s top greatest fighters. There are Jewish boxers who fought over 200 times and one who had over 200 victories. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Sherman Lambert - For reasons unknown, Jews are often stereotyped as being non-athletic. Nonetheless, Jews have helped shape and at times dominated the tough sport of boxing. A number of Jewish boxers rank among the all time best in their weight divisions and quite a few are enshrined in the Boxing Hall of Fame. The founder of Ring Magazine, Nat Fleisher, recognized 7 Jewish boxers on his list of the all time best in the traditional eight weight divisions. You’ll find at least one Jewish boxer on almost any list of the 20th century’s top greatest fighters. There are Jewish boxers who fought over 200 times and one who had over 200 victories. [details]
    SHERMAN, before I get to your list, I must correct something you said in your preamble.

The REAL reason that there were so many Jews boxing in the first part of the 20th cent. particularly the 1920's and 30's was because, like every other guy, of whatever religion, they needed to make a living. They or their parents were FIRST generation immigrants from the most abject persecution and poverty, grew up in the most penurious times, when jobs paid pennies, and a guy who could belt another around could, for the short time he was successful, make far more than daily wages, even though it still wasn't much.

Many used the money, if they could afford to, to put themselves through college to "amount to something", the sort of thing a Jewish parent called "something" a doctor, lawyer, dentist, Rabbi , something learned, since education was so prized in Jewish tradition.

I know quite a bit about it, since I come from the generation BEFORE Sherman's uncle and father probably. As well, I had a deep respect for my elders and, living in a JEWISH neighbourhood, where our next-door neighbours for about 6 deep on either side were all Jews, and also, as it was in those times, religious, I learned a lot. I was in their houses more than in my own, and I loved the food. I have the deepest respect for Jewish religion and religious Jews to this very day. They were prominent in amateur boxing,the parents often earned little but saved it, and sent their kids to good schools. When they could the emigrated to England or the US to get better jobs for their families benefit, and seemingly were never in police trouble. The Jewish Community where I lived, built their own small school, and we were successful in having me and my 3 brothers allowed to be students. Yes,....we learned a lot in class, and also about other races and religions. And mindless prejudice....................

So SHERMAN, sorry for the digression, now I'll read your list. By the way Max Baer was NOT Jewish, his parents were Bavarian or some Lutheran denomination. Nat Fleischer did an article on it in the RING many years ago. It was fashionable for all sorts to "adopt" Jewishness or Irishness or..... since they were , along with the Irish and Italians, the most enthusiastic boxing fans. And there were many rivalries between the "Irish" and "Jewish" fighters, backed by their two communities, only to discover after their careers were over, or some other way by accident, that the Jew was actually an Italian Catholic, and the Irishman was something else....Like "Packy O'Gatty".... '

Anyway, it's lots of fun talking about it after all these years, so thanks for writing the article.

Comment

i thought baer being jewish can be debatable not that it really matters but, his father was jewish. and it seems its how he identified himself with the star of david on his trunks.

Comment

Originally posted by 3zilla View Post
        i thought baer being jewish can be debatable not that it really matters but, his father was jewish. and it seems its how he identified himself with the star of david on his trunks.
        One of his grandparents was Jewish.From what I read,he didn't seem to be a particularly observant Jew...

Comment

ya i read his father was a non-practicing jew

Comment

well, I like Zab Judah, but in a rare post fight interview he proclaims Jesus Christ to be his lord and savior, and here I thought that Zab Judah was Jewish? I guess he might be a little confused. I dont think Max Baer qualifies to be one of the greatest Jewish fighters of all time, but he's a puncher though.

Comment

Zab Judah???

Comment

i think this is a pointless article. the whole point of boxing is that champions are champions regardless of race or religion, it just sounds to me like the author is trying to prove something.

Comment

Damn, son! I thought you guys were on point with the facts, but you forgot the #1 and #2 top spots on the jew p4p list. You done forgot the Spiegel brothers. It's OK, we'll give you a few minutes to correct the list before we add you and the rest of the staff to the list of KO victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
                    Damn, son! I thought you guys were on point with the facts, but you forgot the #1 and #2 top spots on the jew p4p list. You done forgot the Spiegel brothers. It's OK, we'll give you a few minutes to correct the list before we add you and the rest of the staff to the list of KO victims.
                    #

Great figters like Benny Leonard & Barney Ross some figters they're jewish & they should be proud no 1 can question Jewish atlectism with fighters like that they're on the pound for pound list in there division.

Comment

Working...
                    X