No announcement yet.

Fighting for History: The Legacy of Bernard Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting for History: The Legacy of Bernard Hopkins

By Shawn Krest - This shouldn’t be happening. At an age where most athletes are ruining their legacies, Bernard Hopkins began building his. At an age when he promised he’d retire, he did just the opposite, embarking on a series of fights whose strength of schedule has rarely been seen in the hundred-plus year history of the sport.

At the tail end of Hopkins’ record-setting reign as middleweight champion—a twenty-fight string that was mocked for being heavy on Robert Allens (three times) and Morrade Hakkars and light on Felix Trinidads—Hopkins began to look to the history books. Sure, twenty defenses may have stamped his ticket to Canastota, but the eight-fight string beginning with defense number nineteen and leading into October could get him a higher level of respect when compared to other middleweight greats.

Some time in 2004, Hopkins seems to have picked up a boxing magazine, flipped to the pound-for-pound rankings, and began scheduling bouts. In order, he’s knocked out Oscar de la Hoya, dominated Howard Eastman, considered at the time the top middleweight contender, and stubbornly refused to pass the torch in two razor-thin losses Jermain Taylor, an undefeated Olympian thirteen years his junior.

[details]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM.

Hopkins should step down now. I hate seein great fighters stick around too long and gettin embarrassed.

Comment

good article bpp. it's so true that his resume in the last few years in pretty much top of the heap. respect

Comment

Bernard Hopkins is a true all-time great who, by opting to fight Kelly Pavlik, proves that he is still out to prove his greatness, not preserve it.

Sure he's fading and his fights are getting increasingly difficult to watch. In fact, if I'm not going to this one I certainly ain't paying for it on TV. Still, that doesn't take away what this man has accomplished and, even at 43, is still willing to fight the best challenge out there. What a concept.

Comment

Really good article, puts it into perspective when you think about the quality of opponents he's faced since turning 40 - Taylor, Tarver, Winky, Calzaghe and now Pavlik. that's crazy.

Despite his fights not being very fan friendly recently, I hope people appreciate what he's doing. He's doing something very few people can ever say they did.

Comment

if BHop beats Pavlik convincingly...

BHop > Mayweather/Pacquiao

I won't lie- I'm honestly a bit fearful for the man. Here comes Pavlik..

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
              Hopkins should step down now. I hate seein great fighters stick around too long and gettin embarrassed.
              WITH all due respect to the article writer I think the piece suffered from massive "overgush". bernard Hopkins was just the wrong representative of the sport, to write about like this.

Every single one of the bouts the writer talks about, which, supposedly brought Hopkins into that rarified "STAR" stratosphere, can easily be examined and the great tilts towards Hopkins exposed for what they were, one-sided advantages.

The writer was on the right track when he mentioned the surfeit of Robert Allens' and Marrade Hakkars'. Why did he feel the need to go further..................???

Comment

Hopkins > Puerto Rico

Comment

bernard is one of the greatest super welterweight fighters of all time......

Comment

no response to my "super welterweight" comment?

where are all the hopkins' guys?

i was so ready with my trinidad , de la hoya , holmes , wright response......

oh well.........

VIVA TITO TRINIDAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X