No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito - A Woman's View

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cotto vs. Antonio Margarito - A Woman's View

By Amy Green - The long awaited clash between the unbeaten Miguel Cotto (32-1) and the dangerous, long avoided Antonio Margarito (38-5) was hyped as relentless warriors on a collision course to welterweight supremacy. Setting the stage for their showdown was a refreshing lack of pre-fight trash talking, disrespect and slurs on either the Mexican or Puerto Rican heritages. Instead, Cotto and Margarito’s careers, records, skills and abilities fueled the editorial buzz, and will continue to do so after this fights’ epic conclusion. [details]

I believe Cotto was actually vanquished both physically and mentally. I don't think there is any problem in the HBO commentator crew referring to the loser as such. Yes, he fought ferociously, but it is a fact that he was utterly defeated. That's how it is, especially in the sport like Boxing. I was more confused by their comments during the bout saying "Cotto is landing clean effective shots" everytime Cotto hit Margarito. Those punches were indeed connected cleanly, but they were not as effective as the commentators said they were I guess. Margarito wasn't slightest bit hurt by those shots from Cotto. For me, the HBO crew sounded kind of pro-Cotto.

Comment

...When I saw the thread topic I thought BPP had run off to Switzerland and gotten "the change".

Comment

i had the fight even till the end, cotta was quicker and more effective with his punches while margarito was slower but bigger and the body shots he hit cotto with early on affected him and the pressure he put on was too much for cotto. I felt that cotto was on the ropes too much and whenever he had spurts of pressure on margarito he would throw a few shots and run and get pressure again. Cotto needed to clinch more when he was on the ropes or gettiung pressured thats what Mayweahther would have done differently. I dont know if Mayweather beats Margarito, hes quicker then Cotto but thats about it, a lot of the fighters would crumble under pressure like that

Comment

vanquished - defeated; conquered in battle

seems more than appropriate.......they didn't say DISGRACED. they used a synonym for defeated...................

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Pradun View Post
            i had the fight even till the end, cotta was quicker and more effective with his punches while margarito was slower but bigger and the body shots he hit cotto with early on affected him and the pressure he put on was too much for cotto. I felt that cotto was on the ropes too much and whenever he had spurts of pressure on margarito he would throw a few shots and run and get pressure again. Cotto needed to clinch more when he was on the ropes or gettiung pressured thats what Mayweahther would have done differently. I dont know if Mayweather beats Margarito, hes quicker then Cotto but thats about it, a lot of the fighters would crumble under pressure like that

he's quicker than cotto, and his DEFENSE is far superior. mayweather beats margarito...................and cotto.........

Comment

HBO crew

I thought it was an utter disgrace the way the HBO crew annnounced this fight, in which it was obvious Lampley's choice to win was Cotto. it's was as if, Margarito was not in the ring, nor was he landing any punches. A trained eye, who understands boxing, could see Margarito was doing the most damage to Cotto and he would wear him down eventually. Cotto landed some great punches, but they were pretty punches, and not necessarily the punches that stops a fighter, nor did they stop Margarito from coming forward. The bodywork of Margarito was tremendous, in which he wore Cotto down. It's time for HBO to replace Lampley and Stewart, and find a crew who are not biased.

Comment

"For me, the HBO crew sounded kind of pro-Cotto."

Man, I'll say. Especially Jim Lampley. Even though Cotto was getting his licks in Margarto was also getting licks in but........Jim's commentary was always pro-Cotto. Guess he had big money on Cotto. If so....he lost his ass.
                And yes, Cotto was vanquished. Why that writer thinks it was an insult to Cotto I'll never know.

Comment

Take that Teddy Atlas!!

Comment

Originally posted by cool-jupiter View Post
                    I believe Cotto was actually vanquished both physically and mentally. I don't think there is any problem in the HBO commentator crew referring to the loser as such. Yes, he fought ferociously, but it is a fact that he was utterly defeated. That's how it is, especially in the sport like Boxing. I was more confused by their comments during the bout saying "Cotto is landing clean effective shots" everytime Cotto hit Margarito. Those punches were indeed connected cleanly, but they were not as effective as the commentators said they were I guess. Margarito wasn't slightest bit hurt by those shots from Cotto. For me, the HBO crew sounded kind of pro-Cotto.
                    No, its just that margarito has a cinder block for a head. He looked like a bobble head when Cotto would throw combinations, they just had no effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X