No announcement yet.

Southern California Notebook - Sergio Mora is Ready

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern California Notebook - Sergio Mora is Ready

By Doug Fischer - This Saturday’s Showtime-televised challenge of WBC super welterweight titlist Vernon Forrest is not only Sergio Mora’s sternest test as a professional boxer, it’s his first fight at the 154-pound limit and his first bout scheduled for the 12-round championship distance.

Given these factors, Mora’s conditioning is as paramount as his gameplan and mindset going into his first crack at a respected “name” opponent.

Most fight scribes and pundits have so little respect for Mora as world title challenger, believing the East L.A. native who gained fame on The Contender TV series lacks both the talent and skill to contend with Forrest, they haven’t bothered to wonder if the career middleweight will be able box effectively at 154 pounds or fight hard in the “championship rounds” of the bout, should it go the distance.

Those concerns are the job of Mora’s conditioning coach, Robert Ferguson, a Ventura-based fitness guru and nutritionist who has worked with notable fighters such as Samuel Peter and Steve Forbes but is perhaps best known in the boxing world for having had the unenviable task of getting Fernando Vargas down to fighting weight during the twilight of the Oxnard native’s career. [details]

I hate Dougie Fischer, but this was a good article, Mora whoops Vernon's ass.

Comment

hes ready to get beat.

Comment

Originally posted by xcaret View Post
        Vernon is ready to get beat.
        I think you had a typo so I helped you out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by HTownTexan View Post
          I think you had a typo so I helped you out a bit.
          lol....i just hope its a great fight

Comment

I want Sergio to take this fight almost as bad as I've wanted my absolute favorite boxers to win their fights. Sergio might not be far behind...

Let's go Sergio!

Comment

Mora-less Does not have the fire power or top level experience to stave off old man river Forrest.Vernon will have to play the aggressor so Mora should look to box & slide him all night,his best chance

Comment

Originally posted by Grebs Ghost View Post
                Mora-less Does not have the fire power or top level experience to stave off old man river Forrest.Vernon will have to play the aggressor so Mora should look to box & slide him all night,his best chance

Credit for glossing him "Mora-less". That one is pretty good.

Comment

Credit for the nice Avatar that has me winded.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebs Ghost View Post
                    Naw to me this is ALL wrong. Vernon is a boxer. He needs space to punch. Mora needs to crowd him, dig the body inside to keep Vernon from fully extending his arms on his punches. That straight right will only work from a distance. Mora needs to circle to Vernons left and make Vernon cross his body when he throws the right. Get inside and BODY BODY BODY!!! Vernon hasnt had a meaningful fight in years. He lost to Ike IMO. A fighter who is older and isnt as hungry isnt as willing to take body shots. After 7-8 rounds to the body, come back up top and get a late TKO. I say in the 10th or 11th.

Comment

Working...
                    X