No announcement yet.

Amir Khan's Manager Speaks on Trainer Situation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan's Manager Speaks on Trainer Situation

While Amir Khan has a temporary trainer for his next bout, the search for a permanent successor to Oliver Harrison continues. [details]

Khan: Floyd has taught me so much

AMIR KHAN has revealed how a masterclass from Floyd Mayweather has made him sharper than ever. The lightweight, 21, spent an hour with WBC world welterweight champion Mayweather and his trainer and uncle Roger at their gym in Las Vegas last week.

And Khan, who has just replaced long-standing trainer Oliver Harrison with Dean Powell, was staggered when Floyd, who ended Ricky Hatton’s unbeaten record last year, got in the ring with him. Khan, whose promoter Frank Warren reckons he is six months away from a world title shot, revealed: “I’m told that usually Floyd sleeps most of the day as he is out late.

“So I was chuffed when he came down to see me spar with his trainer Roger Mayweather.

“Roger would show me things to do but Floyd would walk to the centre of the ring and say ‘No, no, do it this way’.

“Floyd told me to maintain the speed at which I box and thought I had the power but I needed to work on my skill.

“It was one of the most instructive hours I have ever had in the gym, I can understand now why Ricky Hatton found it so difficult to penetrate Floyd’s defence.

“Roger was in there doing the pad work with me and he would be trying to take my head off with left hooks.

“I really had to be on my toes and he caught me once. He was telling me that there was no point in just going through the motions as that doesn’t happen when you are in a real fight.

“Roger was making me throw a punch 10 times to get it right. Floyd was looking all the time either nodding or stepping in to show me a different way. It was absolutely fantastic.”

Khan proved to be a bit of a magnet for other Vegas-based fighters. And when he went to see another trainer, Freddie Roach, world champion Manny Pacquiao popped in. He added: “Pacquiao fights David Diaz for the world lightweight title in June and there’s a chance we could meet sometime down the line. He was there in the gym watching me.”

Comment

Originally posted by uppercut_84 View Post
      Khan: Floyd has taught me so much

AMIR KHAN has revealed how a masterclass from Floyd Mayweather has made him sharper than ever. The lightweight, 21, spent an hour with WBC world welterweight champion Mayweather and his trainer and uncle Roger at their gym in Las Vegas last week.

And Khan, who has just replaced long-standing trainer Oliver Harrison with Dean Powell, was staggered when Floyd, who ended Ricky Hatton’s unbeaten record last year, got in the ring with him. Khan, whose promoter Frank Warren reckons he is six months away from a world title shot, revealed: “I’m told that usually Floyd sleeps most of the day as he is out late.

“So I was chuffed when he came down to see me spar with his trainer Roger Mayweather.

“Roger would show me things to do but Floyd would walk to the centre of the ring and say ‘No, no, do it this way’.

“Floyd told me to maintain the speed at which I box and thought I had the power but I needed to work on my skill.

“It was one of the most instructive hours I have ever had in the gym, I can understand now why Ricky Hatton found it so difficult to penetrate Floyd’s defence.

“Roger was in there doing the pad work with me and he would be trying to take my head off with left hooks.

“I really had to be on my toes and he caught me once. He was telling me that there was no point in just going through the motions as that doesn’t happen when you are in a real fight.

“Roger was making me throw a punch 10 times to get it right. Floyd was looking all the time either nodding or stepping in to show me a different way. It was absolutely fantastic.”

Khan proved to be a bit of a magnet for other Vegas-based fighters. And when he went to see another trainer, Freddie Roach, world champion Manny Pacquiao popped in. He added: “Pacquiao fights David Diaz for the world lightweight title in June and there’s a chance we could meet sometime down the line. He was there in the gym watching me.”
      Seems like mroe than one world class fighter has an eye on Khan, the future of the sport is within him. I will watch his career moere closely since it seems these great fighters see something in him.

Comment

If he did go and train with the Mayweathers it would do him the world of good he certainly has the natural talent to go very far. Perfect to work on his defense that needs the most improvement.

Comment

Good to see a British fighter not afraid to look abroad to improve himself.

Comment

That's very good for Khan.

Crazy how one hour made him overhaul his boxing career like that, he saw the light so to speak. Truly amazing.

Khan was all the tools, and the step up from Euro competition to World competition is huge. I hope he has the right people around him to make it.

(And I hope the Mayweathers realize what a cash cow Khan is as further incentive to train him )

Comment

This was actually my first international phone call.

Comment

I think Khan could prosper a lot with Roger as his trainer. Freddie Roach and McGirt wouldn't fit him too well I don't think.

Comment

I can imagine Roger would warrant alot of money of Khan.

Comment

Working...
                  X