No announcement yet.

Malignaggi Heads To Sicily For Training Camp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malignaggi Heads To Sicily For Training Camp

SIRACUSA, Sicily – IBF junior welterweight champion Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi has shifted training camp from Vero Beach (Florida) to Sicily in preparation for his May 24 rematch with Lovemore N’dou on the Ricky Hatton-Juan Lazcano card in Manchester, England. [details]

Why is there a rematch? Ndou clearly lost the first fight.

Comment

I'll be at my villa in Tuscany soon, perhaps I'll take the yacht out for a day trip and drop by Malignaggi's camp.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
        rematch clause

Comment

someone should tell paulie that italy is one hour ahead of the uk.

Comment

Originally posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
            But is the point not to see if he can win this time? Hopefully a good undercard fight for the hatton/lacanzo fight

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
              someone should tell paulie that italy is one hour ahead of the uk.
              1 hour is a lot better than 6 hours. i flew to london after spending about a month in firenze. it's no big deal. it's like flying from new york to new orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooter View Post
                I'll be at my villa in Tuscany soon, perhaps I'll take the yacht out for a day trip and drop by Malignaggi's camp.
                "Many a truth is spoken in jest". In 1966, I was meandering through Italy for a couple of months, I was leaving Loreto, a small town on the Adriatic coast, when, running to catch a train, I burst my way through a group of what I thought were roughnecks standing on the platform. A couple of us fell and a little luggage was scattered.

It turned out that it was the training party of Sandro Lopopolo who had just arrived and were getting ready to start training for a guy called Rivas. It was a grudge match because this Rivas had already beaten him. We had quite a time with apologies and since a couple of them spoke English-sort of-it was VERY interesting. Of course I missed the train (and actually later went back to stay another 2 days at the little restaurant/hotel I'd just left).They didn't want to talk boxing, but were very keen to talk rugby. believe it or not, when they found that I was a long time player. They brought me over to another guy who was the manager of a rugby club in Sicily, in a seaside town called Catania. What surprised me about Lopopolo was that he was so small. Short, broad, sloping shoulders, head and neck thrust forward, longish well "massaged" nose, curly dark hair combed straight back, VERY beady-eyed. For a few minutes at the beginning I was rather uncomfortable.

To make a long story short, I actually went down to Sicily with the guy, stayed in Catania for about a week. It was a lovely quiet place, nothing seemed to move. I was surprised at first that they even had a rugby club never mind wanting a professional trainer (ME...). The craze was just beginning actually. They actually offered me the job and, subject to some back-home arrangements, I was all ready to do a deal, when I went to a barber for a haircut. The shop had an open entrance to the main square, and there i was, sitting in the chair, and watching the few people pass by. There were two absolutely stunning girls, and I watched them=all the way. The barber noticed this, and he said (he's lived in the States for a while and spoke actually pretty good English) he said, "you berra keepa you eyes from the women" . He took me unawares, so I asked what did he mean. He said" you looka lika that and they cutta of da head. he actually took out a straight-edged razor from his top coat pocket to illustrate........

To make a long story short, although I though he was making a joke with me, I finally understood, that one of these girls was the daughter of the local big mafia boss. He also said that no outsider could get anywhere near any girl there without having his tender parts cut off....at the very least. Eventually, since girls were my main sport, even more than boxing, (and it didn't take long) it scared me. I turned down the job very diplomatically by saying I'd write to the rugby guy when got home. He was very evasive when I told him about the mafia and didn't want to talk about it at all. This really convinced me.........

Sorry about the long story, folks, but the little humourous "yacht" comment reminded me of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooter View Post
                  mail me some chianti and olive oil

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
                    mail me some chianti and olive oil
                    good one

Comment

Working...
                    X