No announcement yet.

Steve Forbes and His Fight to Save Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Forbes and His Fight to Save Boxing

By Brett Conway - About a year ago, many in the sports media were all a-twitter about Floyd Mayweather’s junior middleweight match against Oscar De La Hoya. But they didn’t praise. They gloated. Would it prove to be the last gasp of boxing? Would boxing finally show that it is a sport that is out of date, for criminals, lowlifes, and bums? Would this last event be a fitting denouement for a sport that boasted athletes that transcended the red-light district of sport – athletes like Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, and Sugar Ray Leonard?

As the sporting world watched and the sporting press, including “Sports Illustrated,” circled from above, waiting to pick over the corpse of boxing, something funny happened. The event showed boxing doesn’t need the super event to keep going. It just needs good match ups. The completion of the Vazquez-Marquez trilogy, the Marquez-Pacquiao rematch, Cotto-Mosley, Calzaghe-Hopkins, and, yes, even Jones-Trinidad – all these fights showed there is still a lot of interest in boxing and that it is far from dead. Boxing picked itself up, brushed itself off, and once again sprang forward, windmilling. [details]

Please win Steve. **** DLH-PBF 2.

Comment

no pressure stevie

Comment

Forbes will be ebat to apulp..and be a rich man the rest of his life.

Comment

A Tale

Post-Wrestlemania, The World Awaits Part 2

Now that P4P King Floyd Mayweather is done playing around in the pretend/staged world of Wrestling Entertainment, he has put his focus back to the fight game of boxing with another superfight with Oscar Delahoya - a fight which was one of the most lucrative boxing matches ever, with over $120 million in generated revenue. With publicity appearences on Dancing With The Stars, NBA Celebrity Basketball Weekend and World Wrestling Entertainment, Floyd Mayweather is anticipating to yet again break records with Boxing PPV-Kingpin, The Golden Boy Oscar Delahoya and make the second fight even bigger.

April12th 2008 - Cotto def Gomez by 7rd Tko.

After back and forth action for the first five rounds, Miguel Cotto started taking complete control over the fight breaking Gomez down with vicious body shots. In round 7, it looked like Gomez was fatigued and had nothing left in the tank. Cotto went for the kill and the ref rightfully stopped the fight. During the Post-fight interview, Max Kellerman asked Cotto who he would like to fight next. Cotto made it clear that he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather next saying, "I want Mayweather, I must break him". However it looks like Miguel Cotto will have to wait in line as Money May has bigger fish to fry in September in a much more lucrative bout. Delahoya is scheduled for a tune-up fight against Steve Forbes and should he be successfull, he and Mayweather will meet in September in a highly anticipated rematch.

May 3rd 2008 - The Upset

With the help of the quiet member of the Mayweather family Jeff Mayweather, Steve Forbes managed to upset the big favorite Oscar Delahoya with a split and possibly disputed decision at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. It looks like Floyd "Money" Mayweather's biggest fear has come to fruition after having threatened to fire his Uncle Roger for training Forbes. At the end of the day it didn't matter as Forbes pulled off the major upset and spoiled a very lucrative bout for Money Mayweather which will cost him millions. Now that Delahoya vs Mayweather is off, Oscar has said that he will not be fighting in September. He was quoted saying, "I don't know, for some reason my footwork just wasn't working tonight and I was off my game. I'm just gonna take the rest of the year off and if Mayweather still wants to fight this year, he can have our September date". HBO has confirmed that they will hold the September date should Floyd Mayweather decide to fight somebody.

Steve Forbes vs Floyd Mayweather?

As has been reported, Mayweather's camp is in negotiations to fight none other then Stevie Forbes in September. When Mayweather appeared on Espn and got asked about the fight by Brian Kenny, Mayweather said, "I think it's a great fight, Steve Forbes deserves this fight after the upset win over Oscar Delahoya. He deserves to get paid and I think it's a great fight for the fans". When Brian Kenny asked him about Cotto, Mayweather interrupted him sounding a bit annoyed saying, "Cotto who? Don't talk to me about Cotto. Cotto is a fan of mine, he isn't even in my league. Come talk to me about Cotto when he performs in front of millions on Wrestlemania and gets paid 20mill." However after a angry response, Floyd quickly regrouped and put his best smile on for Espn selling the Forbes vs Mayweather fight like a true promoter. Mayweather said, " I think me and Forbes will put on a great fight for the fans. I think this will be the third biggest fight in history of boxing right after Mayweather/Delahoya and Mayweather/Hatton. I will put on a dominating performance and at the end of the day I am the face of boxing and P4P best, nobody can deny that".

June 20th 2008- Forbes Injured, Pulls Out

It has been reported that Steve Forbes has injured his hand in training camp and pulled out of his scheduled September fight with WBC Welterweight Champion Floyd Mayweather. Floyd Mayweather responded saying that it's very unfortunate that Forbes had to pull out. However he has said that he still intends to fight in September as planned and will start looking for a replacement opponent soon. Stay tuned.

July 1st- Forbes Out, Cotto In

It's official. Both Cotto and Mayweather have signed the contracts for a fight scheduled for 12 rounds for the WBA and WBC welterweight titles on September 5th. Floyd Mayweather made it clear that there won't be a 24/7 for this fight as he considers Miguel Cotto unworthy. Mayweather said, " A normal 30 minute preview will do. The only reason Miguel Cotto is even here is because Forbes pulled out. He is the replacement opponent and that's how I will treat this fight".

Press Conference quotes

Miguel Cotto: I must break him for Puerto Rico and tooo hmmm make my people proud.

Floyd Mayweather: I think both Oscar Delahoya and Steve Forbes would beat Miguel Cotto. Oscar would knock him out in less then 6 rounds and Forbes would give him a boxing lesson for 12 rounds. He should feel appriciative that he will share the same ring with me and be thankful that I gave him this oppritunity. This will be his biggest payday. After this, he is going back to New York fighting on Puerto Rican Day Parades for chump change.

Miguel Cotto: I let my hands do the talking and my company speak for me.

Floyd Mayweather: After this fight, all Puerto Ricans will become Floyd Mayweather fans.

September 5th - The Fight

Las Vegas, Nevada

Floyd Mayweather is walking out in a sombrero hat and Puerto Rican color shorts and jacket as the fans are booing. Cotto looks focused.

Rounds 1-6

After a first round feelout, it looks like Floyd Mayweather is completely in control dominating the fight with his jab, movement and crisp right hands.

Round 11 - Big uppercut from Mayweather has Cotto in trouble. Cotto is in survival mode as Floyd Mayweather is following around. But Cotto survives and finishes the 12th round as well.

The Winner by Unaminous Decision and now WBC/WBA Welterweight champion of the World - Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather.

During the Post fight Interview, Mayweather said, "Cotto is a great fighter, I love all the Puerto Rican people and they shouldn't feel bad. Cotto put on one hell of a fight". When asked whether he would continue boxing he said "I don't know, I mean I have accomplished everything. They said I had to fight Cotto to be a true champion and that's what I did. I have nothing else to prove and I'm financially set for life. It's now time to put my entire focus into Mayweather Promotions." Larry Merchant called it the most dominant performance between two prime champions since Bernad Hopkins defeated Felix "Tito" Trinidad.

Three Months Later.........

The Aftermath

Andre Berto after a dominating performance over 27-1 Belgium fighter Jackson Osei Bonsu, Berto called out Floyd Mayweather. Berto, "I'm ready, I'm the # 1 WBC ranked contender, Floyd Mayweather is next."

After a 12 round draw, both Kermit Cintron and Antonio Margarito showed no interest in a third fight and expressed their desire to fight Floyd Mayweather next. Cintron said, "I'm the IBF welterweight champ, if Floyd wants to be undisputed he needs to come fight me. That's the fight I want". Margarito said, "Floyd has always been scared of me. He is a coward and needs to step up and fight me. I demand a fight against Chicken Mayweather". Boxingscene member Viva_Mexico knods in agreement.

Boxingscene Threads:

1. Floyd is ducking Andre Berto
          2. Why is Floyd scared of Berto?
          3. Berto will beat Floyd and I tell you why.
          4. Berto is the future of the welters
          5. Viva: Floyd Gayweather, stop ducking Cintron
          6. Viva: Floyd Gayweather, stop ducking Margarito
          7. Horus: Floyd would beat both Margarito and Cintron at the same time
          8. Poll: Who wins in a Triple Threat Match between Cintron, Margarito and Mayweather
          9. Poll: Who wins in a 4-way match between Berto, Cintron, Margarito and Mayweather.
          10. Poll: Who wins in a tag-team match between Margarito/Cintron vs Berto/Mayweather

The End

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=171855
          Last edited by Vladimir303; 04-30-2008, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Bored at work by anychance??

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
              Please win Steve. **** DLH-PBF 2.
              Judges are paid off just like in the Oscar/Strum fight, so even if he was able to get the upset he'll get screwed because golden girl promotions cheats. And theres no way in hell he can ko Oscar.

Comment

You know something... I wouldn't be surprised if some of that ended up happening.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir303 View Post
                  A Tale

Now that P4P King Floyd Mayweather is done playing around in the pretend/staged world of Wrestling Entertainment, he has put his focus back to the fight game of boxing with another superfight with Oscar Delahoya - a fight which was one of the most lucrative boxing matches ever, with over $120 million in generated revenue. With publicity appearences on Dancing With The Stars, NBA Celebrity Basketball Weekend and World Wrestling Entertainment, Floyd Mayweather is anticipating to yet again break records with Boxing PPV-Kingpin, The Golden Boy Oscar Delahoya and make the second fight even bigger.

After back and forth action for the first five rounds, Miguel Cotto started taking complete control over the fight breaking Gomez down with vicious body shots. In round 7, it looked like Gomez was fatigued and had nothing left in the tank. Cotto went for the kill and the ref rightfully stopped the fight. During the Post-fight interview, Max Kellerman asked Cotto who he would like to fight next. Cotto made it clear that he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather next saying, "I want Mayweather, I must break him". However it looks like Miguel Cotto will have to wait in line as Money May has bigger fish to fry in September in a much more lucrative bout. Delahoya is scheduled for a tune-up fight against Steve Forbes and should he be successfull, he and Mayweather will meet in September in a highly anticipated rematch.

May 3rd 2008 - The Upset

With the help of the quiet member of the Mayweather family Jeff Mayweather, Steve Forbes managed to upset the big favorite Oscar Delahoya with a split and possibly disputed decision at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. It looks like Floyd "Money" Mayweather's biggest fear has come to fruition after having threatened to fire his Uncle Roger for training Forbes. At the end of the day it didn't matter as Forbes pulled off the major upset and spoiled a very lucrative bout for Money Mayweather which will cost him millions. Now that Delahoya vs Mayweather is off, Oscar has said that he will not be fighting in September. He was quoted saying, "I don't know, for some reason my footwork just wasn't working tonight and I was off my game. I'm just gonna take the rest of the year off and if Mayweather still wants to fight this year, he can have our September date". HBO has confirmed that they will hold the September date should Floyd Mayweather decide to fight somebody.

As has been reported, Mayweather's camp is in negotiations to fight none other then Stevie Forbes in September. When Mayweather appeared on Espn and got asked about the fight by Brian Kenny, Mayweather said, "I think it's a great fight, Steve Forbes deserves this fight after the upset win over Oscar Delahoya. He deserves to get paid and I think it's a great fight for the fans". When Brian Kenny asked him about Cotto, Mayweather interrupted him sounding a bit annoyed saying, "Cotto who? Don't talk to me about Cotto. Cotto is a fan of mine, he isn't even in my league. Come talk to me about Cotto when he performs in front of millions on Wrestlemania and gets paid 20mill." However after a angry response, Floyd quickly regrouped and put his best smile on for Espn selling the Forbes vs Mayweather fight like a true promoter. Mayweather said, " I think me and Forbes will put on a great fight for the fans. I think this will be the third biggest fight in history of boxing right after Mayweather/Delahoya and Mayweather/Hatton. I will put on a dominating performance and at the end of the day I am the face of boxing and P4P best, nobody can deny that".

It has been reported that Steve Forbes has injured his hand in training camp and pulled out of his scheduled September fight with WBC Welterweight Champion Floyd Mayweather. Floyd Mayweather responded saying that it's very unfortunate that Forbes had to pull out. However he has said that he still intends to fight in September as planned and will start looking for a replacement opponent soon. Stay tuned.

It's official. Both Cotto and Mayweather have signed the contracts for a fight scheduled for 12 rounds for the WBA and WBC welterweight titles on September 5th. Floyd Mayweather made it clear that there won't be a 24/7 for this fight as he considers Miguel Cotto unworthy. Mayweather said, " A normal 30 minute preview will do. The only reason Miguel Cotto is even here is because Forbes pulled out. He is the replacement opponent and that's how I will treat this fight".

Press Conference quotes

Miguel Cotto: I must break him for Puerto Rico and tooo hmmm make my people proud.

Floyd Mayweather: I think both Oscar Delahoya and Steve Forbes would beat Miguel Cotto. Oscar would knock him out in less then 6 rounds and Forbes would give him a boxing lesson for 12 rounds. He should feel appriciative that he will share the same ring with me and be thankful that I gave him this oppritunity. This will be his biggest payday. After this, he is going back to New York fighting on Puerto Rican Day Parades for chump change.

Floyd Mayweather: After this fight, all Puerto Ricans will become Floyd Mayweather fans.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Floyd Mayweather is walking out in a sombrero hat and Puerto Rican color shorts and jacket as the fans are booing. Cotto looks focused.

Rounds 1-6

After a first round feelout, it looks like Floyd Mayweather is completely in control dominating the fight with his jab, movement and crisp right hands.

Round 11 - Big uppercut from Mayweather has Cotto in trouble. Cotto is in survival mode as Floyd Mayweather is following around. But Cotto survives and finishes the 12th round as well.

The Winner by Unaminous Decision and now WBC/WBA Welterweight champion of the World - Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather.

During the Post fight Interview, Mayweather said, "Cotto is a great fighter, I love all the Puerto Rican people and they shouldn't feel bad. Cotto put on one hell of a fight". When asked whether he would continue boxing he said "I don't know, I mean I have accomplished everything. They said I had to fight Cotto to be a true champion and that's what I did. I have nothing else to prove and I'm financially set for life. It's now time to put my entire focus into Mayweather Promotions." Larry Merchant called it the most dominant performance between two prime champions since Bernad Hopkins defeated Felix "Tito" Trinidad.

The Aftermath

Andre Berto after a dominating performance over 27-1 Belgium fighter Jackson Osei Bonsu, Berto called out Floyd Mayweather. Berto, "I'm ready, I'm the # 1 WBC ranked contender, Floyd Mayweather is next."

After a 12 round draw, both Kermit Cintron and Antonio Margarito showed no interest in a third fight and expressed their desire to fight Floyd Mayweather next. Cintron said, "I'm the IBF welterweight champ, if Floyd wants to be undisputed he needs to come fight me. That's the fight I want". Margarito said, "Floyd has always been scared of me. He is a coward and needs to step up and fight me. I demand a fight against Chicken Mayweather". Boxingscene member Viva_Mexico knods in agreement.

Boxingscene Threads:

8. Poll: Who wins in a Triple Threat Match between Cintron, Margarito and Mayweather
                  9. Poll: Who wins in a 4-way match between Berto, Cintron, Margarito and Mayweather.
                  10. Poll: Who wins in a tag-team match between Margarito/Cintron vs Berto/Mayweather

The End

He title of the tale

THE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN TALE

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir303 View Post
                    A Tale

May 3rd 2008 - The Upset

Press Conference quotes

Las Vegas, Nevada

Rounds 1-6

The Aftermath

Boxingscene Threads:

The End

Get a life my friend

Comment

Working...
                    X