No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins: An Unsportsman-like Flopper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins: An Unsportsman-like Flopper

By John Hively - Bernard Hopkins showed his usual unsportsman-like conduct after he got his butt kicked by Joe Calzaghe last Saturday in Las Vegas. After the bout, he did his best to convince his audience that he'd won, that he had given Joe a boxing lesson, that the decision was a bad one. He refused to give the man, who had so obviously trounced him, any credit whatsoever for landing 232 times to the head and body over twelve-rounds.

This fight was a little more one-sided than the judges decreed, at least from my point of view. True, Hopkins was competitive. He floored Calzaghe in the first round with a right cross, and he won a few rounds afterwards; and a few other rounds were difficult to score. But he was out hit nearly two to one over the course of the fight.

The seventh, eighth and tenth rounds demonstrated how badly those 232 punches slowed 'The Executioner' down.

I gave Hopkins the opening round 10-8 based on his knockdown. During the early rounds, Hopkins counterpunched, but not all that effectively. In the second round, he landed a nice right cross. Hopkins was landing less than Joe, but Max Kellerman suggested he was landing more effective punches. The commentators repeated this throughout the fight, but I have my doubts that it was true. For example, Calzaghe landed a crackling left hook flush to Hopkins jaw in the second heat. If what Kellerman said was true, that all began to change in the third stanza, as Calzaghe began landing not only more punches than Bernard, but also clouts that were just as effective as anything landed by Hopkins, except for the right cross that floored Joe in the first.

Bernard’s primary offence was to throw one punch at a time, then clinch. Sometimes it seemed as though he was leading with his head. This tactic did not work very well. [details]

hopkins runs the whole fight then throws a right and clinches.

Comment

I agree with the article. The lack of sportsmanship from Hopkins was a shameful.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

I had it 11rounds to 1!!! But who ****ing cares cause BHOP is a flop =)

Comment

Are you ******ed? This article is the biggest one-sided piece of crap I've read in a while on this site. I don't know how often you write, but this one is pathetic. You have obviously gone over the top and made exaggerated claims to prove your point. You even said you scored the fight 116-113 yet this article sounds like Hopkins was the one who got knocked down in the first round. What happened was this: Joe won by the standards of most judges and apparently most of the boxing public (simply more activity and being the "aggressor"), however Bernard won by the standards of a lot of judges, most boxers and a decent amount of boxing fans (landing harder, more effective punches as opposed to amateur and Olympic style taps that count for 1 point just like a knockdown in that scoring system). CompuBox is not God and has shown to be flawed in the past and you must be smoking something if you quote and follow Joe's 189 to 111 power punches. Just because a punch is powerful relative to a tap, doesn't mean it's a power punch. How do you determine how many punches land when Joe throws a combo of 10 in two seconds and Bernard retaliates with 3 or 4? They freaking guess! Make an estimation! Looked like 4 landed for Joe and 1 landed for Hopkins. Bernard didn't get hurt, Joe didn't really get hurt. Bernard did get hit with a low blow, but definitely milked it for rest. But can you blame a 43 year old man. And isn't that a smart thing to do if you were him and truly were tired? I didn't say "brave" or "manly", I said "smart" and completely within the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by F-R-K-O View Post
            I agree with the article. The lack of sportsmanship from Hopkins was a shameful.
            But Joe pretending to hump Hopkins ass is perfectly fine......

Calzaghe fanboys are tards.

Comment

Originally posted by scobb View Post
              Are you ******ed? This article is the biggest one-sided piece of crap I've read in a while on this site. I don't know how often you write, but this one is pathetic. You have obviously gone over the top and made exaggerated claims to prove your point. You even said you scored the fight 116-113 yet this article sounds like Hopkins was the one who got knocked down in the first round. What happened was this: Joe won by the standards of most judges and apparently most of the boxing public (simply more activity and being the "aggressor"), however Bernard won by the standards of a lot of judges, most boxers and a decent amount of boxing fans (landing harder, more effective punches as opposed to amateur and Olympic style taps that count for 1 point just like a knockdown in that scoring system). CompuBox is not God and has shown to be flawed in the past and you must be smoking something if you quote and follow Joe's 189 to 111 power punches. Just because a punch is powerful relative to a tap, doesn't mean it's a power punch. How do you determine how many punches land when Joe throws a combo of 10 in two seconds and Bernard retaliates with 3 or 4? They freaking guess! Make an estimation! Looked like 4 landed for Joe and 1 landed for Hopkins. Bernard didn't get hurt, Joe didn't really get hurt. Bernard did get hit with a low blow, but definitely milked it for rest. But can you blame a 43 year old man. And isn't that a smart thing to do if you were him and truly were tired? I didn't say "brave" or "manly", I said "smart" and completely within the rules.
              Wow...welcome to b-scene........psot more often......great post.

Comment

Hopkins is a disrpectful prick that should not be a future hall of famer. Hopkins comments leading up to the fight and his comments after the fight prove that. I'd like to see him fight Kelly Pavlik so this time he gets knocked the **** out by a white boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner View Post
                  But Joe pretending to hump Hopkins ass is perfectly fine......

Calzaghe fanboys are tards.
                  Not only is it fine, it was one of the funniest moments in boxing.

Get over it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Probably late for old 'nard to get some braces...

Comment

Working...
                    X