No announcement yet.

“White Boy” a Throwback to Holmes-Cooney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “White Boy” a Throwback to Holmes-Cooney

By Don Colgan - 26-years have passed, yet it really seems like yesterday. The Larry Holmes-Gerry Cooney WBC Heavyweight Championship Bout in June, 1982, was a collision between the dominant Holmes at the peak of his skills and Gentleman Gerry, a devastating yet untested slugger. Cooney, virtue of knockouts over Jimmy Lyle, Ron Lyle, and a 54 second slaughter over an over the hill Ken Norton, was ranked #1 in the world by Ring Magazine and Boxing Illustrated and was a mere 8 to 5 underdog when he and Holmes met at ring center in Las Vegas. [details]

Hopkins by ko....

Yeah right /sarcasm

Comment

Pump, who the **** is Dan Colgan and why is he writing for this website?

Colgan you are a piece of ****. You can't write either.

Comment

Toughness is not the only thing that wins fights. There won't be a knockout in this fight. Bad article.

Comment

that's apples and biscuits mang.

Comment

I think that the author of this article merely wanted to provoke a discussion. We know Bernard is mentally tough and physically tough. We hadn't always known the same of Joe, however after two fights (Lacy and to a greater degree Kessler) , I think the answer is clear. Joe possesses those intangibles as well. Problem for Joe is that Bernard slows down the pace of the fights, by clinching and hitting on the inside while effectively counter punching. Bernard is very astute in the ring. He knows Calzhage is a volume puncher but he will look to bring those numbers down. If Bernard cuts Calzhage, which is highly likely with respect to how Bernard fights then I think we will see what Calzhage's mental makeup looks like. If Calzhage wins then I think his stature and legend rise even higher.

Comment

A poorly written article.

Comment

I agree it was pretty loathsome and was incorrect in basic facts. For example Hatton was on his feet when the referee stopped the fight and although he fell down afterwards he wasn't down for the full ten count. But it's the patronising racist throwbackery that upsets me the most. Ooh ooh Ghetto Tough. Ooh ooh no white European can beat a black American.

What the ****, has he never heard of the Heavyweight division?

Comment

Don should get a Pulitzer or whatever they be givin to good journalist! Dude just stated the FACTS to balance out the board dominated by MYTHS!

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                    Don should get a Pulitzer or whatever they be givin to good journalist! Dude just stated the FACTS to balance out the board dominated by MYTHS!
                    "FACTS" like the "FACT" that Hatton was counted out despite the "REALITY" that he was stopped on his feet? **** doesn't this clown have the internet? He mailed in his article?

Comment

Working...
                    X