No announcement yet.

The Political Victims of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Political Victims of Boxing

By Marty Mulcahey - 28 years ago, American politicians halted the life's work of hundreds of patriotic athletes, crushing dreams and rendering years of intense training inconsequential. Among them were eleven boxers, whose futures were negatively impacted by not participating in the 1980 Summer Olympics.

On March 21st, 1980, the United States announced it would not participate in the Summer Olympics because of Russia's invasion of Afghanistan. There would be no "Miracle on Ice" (yes, American politicians had no moral objections to competing against Russians at the 1980 Winter Olympics hosted by America) for an American boxer against a formidable rival from Russia or Cuba. Imagine how the career of James Broad would have been boosted if he were to have upset legendary Cuban heavyweight Teofilo Stevenson.

The specter of the 1980 USA Olympic boxing team entered my mind again because of recent calls from human rights organizations to boycott this year’s Olympics in China. The cause - human rights in China and Tibet - is certainly worthy and impossible to argue against. However, the effectiveness of athletic boycotts, and the ensuing discourse over the reasons for the sporting prohibition are unclear. Did America's boycott of the Moscow Olympics, and Russia's ensuing withdrawal from the Los Angeles Olympics have any real world effect? If so, it is not apparent at first sight, since Russia did not have its beleaguered military retreat from Afghanistan until 1989. [details]

each athlete should stand up.politicians shouldn't force them too.i wish all the athletes would.
    Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 03-30-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

If I was on the US olympic team, I would refuse to compete in China.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
        If I was on the US olympic team, I would refuse to compete in China.
        You would be willing to give up everything you worked your entire youth for because the U.S. dicked over the Native Americans? Thats the same thing. And while how China has treated its people and others is a travesty, don't you think that boycotting the games is hurting the livliness of those who are working on the games themselves and will make money on it, when normally they wouldn't have a chance to scrape a decent living for themselves.

Comment

The USA is far from being considered a leader in Human Right's standards, with open support for torture, rendition, secret prisons, repudiating the Geneva conventions, invading countries, etc. etc.

Lets leave the politics out of sport as much as possible, & preferably all the corporate bull****, & just get on with the games.

If anyone wants to focus on anything relating to politics in the games, how about making sure we clean out the corrupt officiating that has marred a number of top amateur boxing matches.

Comment

The Olympics should stay free of politics. If people have a problem with China's human rights violations, they should deal with the issue at a different time. It's not fair for people's dreams and livelihoods to be taken away from them because politics got in the way. Ironically, it happens all the time, but it doesn't have to happen this time.
            Last edited by rmz; 03-30-2008, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X