No announcement yet.

Hopkins Takes The Age Test in Boxing History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopkins Takes The Age Test in Boxing History

By John Hively - Some people think of Bernard Hopkins as one of the great middleweight champions of history, but he’s probably overrated in this regard. He simply doesn’t have the numbers to rate among the top-ten of all time. As a middleweight, the level of competition he faced was historically pathetic compared to other greats from that division. [details]

Mike McCallum's up there as well, he was 35 in the Kalambay rematch he avenged and 36 in the Toney rematch he was robbed in, and won the WBC light-heavy strap a few years later, and a marvelous display of boxing and punching on the Benn-McClellan chief support.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      By John Hively - Some people think of Bernard Hopkins as one of the great middleweight champions of history, but he’s probably overrated in this regard. He simply doesn’t have the numbers to rate among the top-ten of all time. As a middleweight, the level of competition he faced was historically pathetic compared to other greats from that division. [details]
      Three of those guys were Hall of Famers but I believe you mentioned that there was four definite fighters he fought going into the HOF? Did you mean Tarver, 'cause if you did I think that there is simply no chance in hell he could ever be even close to a candidate for getting in! Though I could have read it wrong and you meant someone else. Glen Johnson doesn't have a hope in hell either. We're talking about the Hall of Fame here, the absolute best fighters possible of each era...not the 'Ok Fighters Hall of Fame'.

Anyway, sorry about that rant. On the article; it's fantastic and a subject I've often considered myself as I have recently felt that Hopkins has been getting so much flack, but, when you consider his achievements and how he has gone about them and most importantly, how well he is still fighting at the age of 43, it is just incredible!

Great read and a brilliant list of fighters which just goes to show that of you have some real severe ring savvy you can fight a long time and hang with the top young guys in their primes well into what would typically be called 'advanced/shot or retiring age'. lol

Some of those guys were just freaks, but, the one thing they all had in common was uncanny ring smarts. George Foreman is about the only guy that really relied on his power more than anything in that list. Even he though had to be smarter than his much younger opponents. The rest though were just amazing to watch, not that I've seen all of them fight, as they had to rely on things other than physical gifts and youth to get them through a big match against a much younger, fitter, stronger and generally bigger guy. I mean, seeing Duran beat Castro at 46 was amazing. A natural lightweight, so far past his prime, fighting a much bigger, younger, stronger guy who went on to win the Supermiddle championship after that fight! Incredible!
      Last edited by BennyST; 03-13-2008, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Dude, this could be the most ignorant piece ever penned.

So glad Boxingscene is merging into Max, so all these fringe ****ing writers will be kicked to the curb.

Comment

Jack Johnson lost the world heavyweight at age 36, didn't lose another fight until he was 46 (winning 19 in a row) and still fought in his 60's.

Saoul Mamby fought recently and he is in his 60's. Managed to go the distance with a much younger fighter.
          http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...=235&cat=boxer

50 year old Carlos Palomino made a comeback almost 20 years after he first retired, won a few fights in a row and went the distance with a top contender Wilfredo Rivera who was coming off a loss to De La Hoya.
          http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...=406&cat=boxer

Larry Holmes was another fighter who was still effective in his 40's.

Comment

I think the writer is a Calzaghe fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Method View Post
              Dude, this could be the most ignorant piece ever penned.

So glad Boxingscene is merging into Max, so all these fringe ****ing writers will be kicked to the curb.
              i agree with this guy...i will never read another super biased article by John Hively....first and foremost he must not have watched the J Taylor fights...and thats truly all anyone has 2say

Comment

This article is ****ing pathetic. Proof of much Hopkins is really underrated. If you think Hopkins is overrated your ****ing out of it, havent you seen the resume of his next opponent Joe Calzaghe?

Comment

wow....pathetic. Your supposed to stay objective. Horrible writer and a horrible boxing spectator.

Comment

This article sucks for a number of reasons, but the funny thing is the author starts out saying Bernard isn't top 10 middleweights of all time and starts to provide arguements as to why, then all of a sudden provides a list for the top 5 "aged" fighters of all time. lol, wtf? Two different things. I'd like to see the authors top 10 Middleweight list, not "aged" (hopkins has had 3 fights over 40, not fair to compare him to Archie Moore who had like 50 fights or whatever after 40).

Comment

Working...
                    X