No announcement yet.

Holy Cow! Where’s Cleveland?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cow! Where’s Cleveland?

BY MICHAEL KATZ - This was supposed to be a great week. Not only was there an intriguing and terrific fight in my Vegas hometown, the rematch between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor, but with Pavlik the Ohio franchise for boxing, it would certainly bring in one of my esteemed and dear colleagues, Joe Maxse of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, the closest thing the ringside press has to a standup comedian.

Maxse’s dead-on and side-splitting imitation of the late Harry Carey – “Here’s a great big Wrigley welcome, Andre Dawson is seated down the first-base line, uh-oh, he’s been hit in the head. He’s dead…..Holy Cow! There’s a giant tongue coming out of the centerfield scoreboard, you don’t see that at day games…..” – usually costs only a couple of beers, but would be cheap at any price. Now I find out that the Plain-Dealer needs Maxse in Indianapolis where Cleveland State, his basketball beat, will be playing Horizon League-leading Butler Saturday. I know this because suddenly I am the Plain-Dealer’s stringer for the biggest Ohio fight since Pavlik won the middleweight title last September from Taylor.

[details]
Working...
X