No announcement yet.

Heavyweight Unification: Boxing's Cornerstone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavyweight Unification: Boxing's Cornerstone

By Don Colgan - By any measure, the succession of high profile championship bouts over the past nine months, beginning with Mayweather-De La Hoya through Mayweather’s overpowering 10th round stoppage of Ricky Hatton last December, there is no question that boxing has experienced it’s most exciting and successful year since the early 1990’s.

Interest in boxing, that all important chatter in the barbershops and luncheonettes, is back.

The stellar quality of the matches, combined with the aura surrounding Floyd Mayweather, Jr, has combined to revive this great sport. The Tyson era, and the destruction it wrought upon boxing, has finally faded and the emergence of superb young battlers and marquee clashes have resulted in booing’s return to relevance in the sports world.

However, for boxing’s recovery to be sustained, and ultimately completed, a heavyweight championship unification must take place, and the upcoming February 23rd clash between Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov is an enormous stride in that direction.

Klitschko remains a formidable champion and, by merit of his ring achievements, should be one of the most recognizable figures in sports. He is not a marginal champion who stumbled into the championship by virtue of an accidental cut or timely wallop. For the past two years, he has been, without a shred of doubt, the most dominant and destructive force in the heavyweight division. He has crushed one challenger after another, registering devastating stoppages over Chris Byrd, Calvin Brock, Ray Austin and Lamon Brewster. [details]

yeah righto

all the latest heavyweights are ****. period.
    were gonna have to wait a little longer for a decent heavyweight and this will be in the shape of david haye when he knocks out enzo macaroni then, move up and clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by micky1971 View Post
      all the latest heavyweights are ****. period.
      were gonna have to wait a little longer for a decent heavyweight and this will be in the shape of david haye when he knocks out enzo macaroni then, move up and clean up.
      David Haye wouldn't last 2 rds with Wlad Klitschko, I seriously doubt he gets past Maccaranelli.

Comment

gav, ur talkin **** mate. macaronis best win was against dennis hobson who i might add(but respectful)is a domestic fighter whereas mormeck was a champ at world level so how do you do ur sums?
        ya ******t!

Comment

I'm loving the limey smack talk going on above me, BTW lol

I really enjoyed this article and find myself in a hole trying to find fault in any of Colgan's statements.

Comment

Originally posted by micky1971 View Post
            gav, ur talkin **** mate. macaronis best win was against dennis hobson who i might add(but respectful)is a domestic fighter whereas mormeck was a champ at world level so how do you do ur sums?
            Haye would not get past the second round against Wladimir.

Easy KO for Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by gavinz1970 View Post
              David Haye wouldn't last 2 rds with Wlad Klitschko, I seriously doubt he gets past Maccaranelli.
              I think Haye can't pass the 9th round against Wlar but you're underrating too much him now... he's the current cruiser champ of the world, and he's only 26, he has alredy crushed Europe's cruisers and I think he will beat maccarinelli (on the contrary macca is incredibly overrated).

In the heavyweights he will have goos shots against everyone, I saw only Wlad,Peter, Vitaly and Iggy beating him at this moment

If he trains hard and cancels his limits (left hand down) he'll have a great future in HW division.

Comment

good article

Comment

I think that Wlad is without a doubt the best heavyweight today. Nobody compares in one punch power, speed, and overall boxing skills. I dont even think that Lennox Lewis could touch Wladimir now , in his best day. He is on a roll and in his prime, and should dominate Ibragimov. To be honest, Im not sure that Sultan will last the whole fight. And thats being said without ever seeing Sultan hurt. If anyone wants to bet against Wladimir Klitschko, please let me know. Ill be glad to obliege you.

Comment

Working...
                  X