No announcement yet.

Sometimes, Action (Quantity) Speaks Louder Than Quality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes, Action (Quantity) Speaks Louder Than Quality

BY MICHAEL KATZ - Let us now praise mediocrity – it can be a lot more exciting than nothing. With no fear of losing my reputation as a cynical curmudgeon, I can extol both Roy Jones Jr. and the heavyweight division, now mutually exclusive. In the greater context of boxing’s renaissance, both its once finest practitioner and once proudest weight class, are emitting reminders of what made them better than mediocrity.

Jones showed flashes of the ability that made him the No. 1 fighter in the world when, in bittersweet revision, he dominated good old Felix Trinidad Jr. last Saturday at Madison Square Garden. Yes, I paid the $50 for the pay-per-view and I’m not going to ask Don King for my money back. Foul Pole Golota put excitement in slow motion, and with uncommon civility, outbrawled a smaller novice named Mike (Marsh) Mollo. Alex Bunema sprang an upset of Roman Karmazin and a kid in a St. Louis Cardinal cap, Devon Alexander, who hits more like Ozzie Smith than Albert Pujols, showed promise in dominating good old Chop Chop Corley.

But the star of the show was Jones, for at least giving latecomers to the game a glimpse of greatness. No, I do not agree with Emanuel Steward, the HBO cheerleader who said the network’s old standardbearer would have a chance against Joe Calzaghe. I doubt that Jones, at 39, has grown a new chin (I did, and later a third and fourth, but I suspect my beard is better than his). His hand speed has to be put in the kind of perspective that doesn’t take an Albert Einstein to understand. Against someone as slow as Trinidad, it is not too difficult to look quick. Against a 35-year-old fighter who had not won a round in 39 months, it is not too difficult to look masterful. [details]

Good column by Katz. I didn't know that Hatton was offered the DLH fight. If they can live without the money Hatton's people were smart to turn it down. Two beatings in a row would end his career.

Comment

Good article but I disagree that Jone's handspeed only looked fast because Trinidad was slow. Some of those punches would seldom be anticipated even by a funny car racer*.

Comment

i guess nobody expect roy to lose against tito. he's bigger, stronger and taller than tito. tito has been inactive for two or three years. it would be a shame for roy losing to boxer who has been manhandled lately by a slow-moving winky wright. had tito won, roy will commit suicide.

Comment

i read the first two paragraphs. same old , blah, blah, blah. boring writing at it's worst....

Comment

Originally posted by rebmogul View Post
            i read the first two paragraphs. same old , blah, blah, blah. boring writing at it's worst....
            Here's a tip: nobody knows how dumb you are until you open your mouth. The same holds true for typing. Do the big words frighten you? Even if you don't always agree with Katz, show some respect.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
              Good article but I disagree that Jone's handspeed only looked fast because Trinidad was slow. Some of those punches would seldom be anticipated even by a funny car racer*.
              his hand speed only looked fast cuz trinidad was slow?

fast is fast is fast...

name someone right now, SMW or LHW with the hand speed and accuracy of roy.... it doesnt matter that tito was slower... roys hands were still fast bar none

thats like saying the only reason the hare was fast, was because the tortoise was slow.... the hare was still fast, regardless

people are so fast to make excuses...

like floyd... he only beat hatton because hatton was a smaller, when people fail to realize floyds moved up in weight 5 times... including going to 154 to face the stronger and bigger oscar... floyd didnt let the weight matter when he moved up... ricky did...

now roy gets no credit because tito was blown up? ok... how about a former heavyweight champ, who weighed 198.... just shrunk down to 169 1/2 pounds... ate age 39....? suddenly roy gets no credit? titos blown up weight was equal to roys shrunk down weight at his age... and the better man won the fight.. and looked good doing it
              Last edited by THE REED; 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM.

Comment

roy still has the fastest hands in boxing, bar none. Its that simple. Tito wasnt that slow saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyson Jones View Post
                  roy still has the fastest hands in boxing, bar none. Its that simple. Tito wasnt that slow saturday.
                  EXACTLY... TITO BEING SLOW DOESNT JUST MAKE ROY FAST... DUDES FAST BAR NONE...

watch that video.. no ones throwin hands that fast at that weight... nobody

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                    EXACTLY... TITO BEING SLOW DOESNT JUST MAKE ROY FAST... DUDES FAST BAR NONE...

watch that video.. no ones throwin hands that fast at that weight... nobody
                    Calzaghe maybe, at least in a much higher volume.

Comment

Working...
                    X