No announcement yet.

Twas a Very Good Year, Especially if Your Name Is Money

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twas a Very Good Year, Especially if Your Name Is Money

BY MICHAEL KATZ - Boxing, as a whole, returned to the PENTHOUSE in 2007. The view may be just as good, or better, in 2008. I still say, “Bah, humbug.”

As I sip the bitter brew from my curmudgeon’s cup, the one with the pictures of Grumpy, euphoria easily gets tempered, especially when my fighter of the year talks not of facing his obvious challenger but of investigating mixed martial arts. It matters not that the cup was a present from that fighter’s attorney.

On the other hand, if Floyd Mayweather Jr. does leave the scene of his untoward millions to mess around on the floor of some unpapered cage, would anyone hear British boors (no, that’s not redundant) booing the Star-Spangled Banner in the forest?

There was a re-surge in boxing this year, especially down the stretch. Pay-per-view records were shattered, crowds swelled here and abroad and best of all, good fighters were fighting good fighters. The axiom of good fights make good fights is holding true; the early schedule of 2008 indicates a continuation of the upward spiral. The heavyweight division may be populated by stiffs, but at least the best stiffs seem to be lined up against other best stiffs early in the year. There is another Olympics on the way, which of course means more Cuban defections to infuse fresh blood into the sport.

A year in which we lost Hank Kaplan sadly, Diego Corrales tragically, and where the competitive ends came for such stars as Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and James Toney, was balanced in part by the removal of Hap Hazzard as New Jersey czar. But Jose Sulaiman is still doing his darndest to ruin everything. [details]

great article

Comment

Not Figting Cotto will be a big Mistake

Already the world is askig for Cotto / Mayweather fight. a denial to fight cotto by Floyd is already creating a doubt of mayweather abilities to face a real champion. Floyd is only paper champion until he face the real boxers. Cotto, Margarito, williams. another point is the Rumor already in some areas, where people will not buy anymore ppv figts of Mayweather, that will create that people will no longer be interested in floyd fights. a situation that was created by floyd Himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Anto View Post
        Already the world is askig for Cotto / Mayweather fight. a denial to fight cotto by Floyd is already creating a doubt of mayweather abilities to face a real champion. Floyd is only paper champion until he face the real boxers. Cotto, Margarito, williams. another point is the Rumor already in some areas, where people will not buy anymore ppv figts of Mayweather, that will create that people will no longer be interested in floyd fights. a situation that was created by floyd Himself.

Comment

Agreed. If he loses, he's finished.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy nordon View Post
            great article

Michael Katz is full of ****!! Sounds like just another guy who has no other reason to down play Floyd's accomplishments, other than try to build someone up who just doesn't deserve to be built up yet due to Their accomplishments til this point. "He should be interested in building his boxing resume. He can not say, though he does, that he has nothing more to prove. Yes, he is a hall of famer even if he were to quit now. Thing is, if his hands give out next time they hit Uncle Roger’s pads, he will not have accomplished nearly enough to make his way into history’s top fifty and we would then always wonder if he coulda been a contender for all times". Katz is a hater, you telling me that whooping everybody that the fans CRIED for him to fight isn't enough, winning 6 belts in 5 weightclasses isn't enough?? Please name an active champion today that has accomplished something close to what Money has (except my man 50 grand B-Hop). There's no question that Mayweather is a Hall of Famer right now, without fighting again in his life, what I would like to see (not NEED to see) is all these belts becoming unified (Paul Williams, Kermit Cintron, Miguel Cotto, & Money Mayweather) then have that fight to end all fight & questions about welterweight supremacy. Be real wit this boxing **** & stop with the pettiness, you wanna see real fights, you want all the doubts to be satisfied, unify the belts, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!! Can u Dig Dat?????

Comment

Looks like Anto wants to talk **** too. Cotto is the only cat you named that deserves a shot at Floyd NOW. Who the frig has Cintron or Williams beat (big named fighters that are on Floyd's or even Cotto's level) that earned them a right to fight Money NOW?? Ya'll are buggin' the f@*$ out wit that stuff, Margarito was who everyone was saying would take Floyd out (much like Hatton) & he couldn't even get past Williams, who was supposed to just be a warm up to a possible Floyd shot, so WTF ya'll know 'bout the this part of the game. MONEY is smart enough to realize that he only got a few fights left in him(for whatever reason) why not let these virtual Unknown cats use 2008 to truely establish themselves, THEN hype the fight, whoop they ass, & retire in peace (only noise would be from those who'd still be talkin loud & sayin NOTHIN)!!!! Dig IT?!?!?

Comment

Floyd is already creating a doubt of mayweather abilities to face a real champion. Floyd is only paper champion until he face the real boxers..
                So who's alt is this one?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

So called "Money", was only able to beat Hatton so convincingly because the retarted ref. made sure that Hatton would get no work in on the inside. How else was he supposed to beat a gifted fighter with a 6" reach advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                    BY MICHAEL KATZ - Boxing, as a whole, returned to the PENTHOUSE in 2007. The view may be just as good, or better, in 2008. I still say, “Bah, humbug.”

As I sip the bitter brew from my curmudgeon’s cup, the one with the pictures of Grumpy, euphoria easily gets tempered, especially when my fighter of the year talks not of facing his obvious challenger but of investigating mixed martial arts. It matters not that the cup was a present from that fighter’s attorney.

On the other hand, if Floyd Mayweather Jr. does leave the scene of his untoward millions to mess around on the floor of some unpapered cage, would anyone hear British boors (no, that’s not redundant) booing the Star-Spangled Banner in the forest?

There was a re-surge in boxing this year, especially down the stretch. Pay-per-view records were shattered, crowds swelled here and abroad and best of all, good fighters were fighting good fighters. The axiom of good fights make good fights is holding true; the early schedule of 2008 indicates a continuation of the upward spiral. The heavyweight division may be populated by stiffs, but at least the best stiffs seem to be lined up against other best stiffs early in the year. There is another Olympics on the way, which of course means more Cuban defections to infuse fresh blood into the sport.

A year in which we lost Hank Kaplan sadly, Diego Corrales tragically, and where the competitive ends came for such stars as Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and James Toney, was balanced in part by the removal of Hap Hazzard as New Jersey czar. But Jose Sulaiman is still doing his darndest to ruin everything. [details]
                    Horrible and completely biased article, however, he does confirm what USA Today, The Ring and others have already confirmed....that Mayweather is undeniably fighter of the year. The hyperbole however, (about May not being top 50, that he HAS to prove more for him, etc,) is too obvious as it's just a desperate plea into calling one of his favorite fighters back into the ring by use of "I dare you" antics and rhetoric.

He brought up SRL, well maybe he should take a look at my sig..

Comment

Working...
                    X