No announcement yet.

The Six Greatest Punches In Ring History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Six Greatest Punches In Ring History

By Don Colgan - There have been many lengthy debates in this country about what constitutes the greatest thrill producer in all of sports. Many say the game tying or winning home run, “Going Yard”, triggers the greatest surge in adrenalin. The desperation 75 year touchdown pass, the sudden death game ending slap shot, the buzzer beating half court bomb. Perhaps the 38 foot putt drained in a Masters sudden death playoff. All insure vigorous disagreement, the corner of debate in sports.

Boxing has it’s place squarely in the center of this debate. For there is absolutely nothing as dramatic as a brutal one-punch knockout or knockdown, and the history of boxing, from flyweight to heavyweight, has witnessed electrifying moments when the sleep producing punch arrives without notice, and often a championship will change hands.

Lets look at ten of the most dramatic punches in boxing history. Not all of them are one punch knockouts, yet every one of them produced a wholly unexpected and shocking result without a moments notice, and resulted in many of fistiana’s greatest moments. [details]

Think this guy has a old-time heavyweight bias?

Geez.

Comment

Well the odds of having something great occuring in the past are pretty high since theres more in 60 years than there are in 10 or 20.
      And I agree with the picks.

Comment

I don't see the significance of the Johnson Ketchel fight.

A rigged fight that ended with a Middleweight being KO'd by a Heavyweight.

Yawn. Then again, I wasn't exactly around in the early 1900's to witness it.

Comment

When Frazier caught Ali, huge punch.

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
            I don't see the significance of the Johnson Ketchel fight.

A rigged fight that ended with a Middleweight being KO'd by a Heavyweight.

Yawn. Then again, I wasn't exactly around in the early 1900's to witness it.
            I agree with you.

How about Chavez-Taylor I?
            Hearns-Duran?
            Tarver-Jones II?
            Mayweather-De La Hoya? (Kidding)

Those three were pretty damn significant IMO.

Comment

ok, but wheres chavez vs taylor, corrales vs. castillo I?

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
                I agree with you.

How about Chavez-Taylor I?
                Hearns-Duran?
                Tarver-Jones II?
                Mayweather-De La Hoya? (Kidding)

Talking about great punches. That righthand Hearns nailed Duran with... WOW and GOODNIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post

Hearns-Duran?
                  Tarver-Jones II?

Two incredible knockouts there. Brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Memoz View Post
                    ok, but wheres chavez vs taylor, corrales vs. castillo I?
                    Forgot about that bad boy. That should have been on there too.

It's hard for me to say though... I haven't seen almost any of the bouts listed in the article so...

How about that huge right hand in Forrest-Mosley I... that was the end of Mosley being P4P #1.

Comment

Working...
                    X