Too Much Ring "Rage" in DeNiro's LaMotta

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Much Ring "Rage" in DeNiro's LaMotta

BY HANK KAPLAN

THEY set me up. All week long I had been getting phone calls telling me how great the movie was. "The acting is terrific." "See the fight scenes......the best you ever saw......go see it......just see it." I was hyped so I visited the neighborhood theater and took time out for "Raging Bull."

This is no critique but just my impression of a movie which I was led to believe was a motion picture about a famous boxer and boxing. A lingering question as I exited the theater was why Robert DeNiro, a great actor, to be sure, studied for so long the boxing style and technique of Jake LaMotta, only to depict a boxer so unlike the Bronx Bull that to identify him would be impossible; furthermore, why the fight scenes, as they were interspersed with a suddenness to make your popcorn flutter, for the most part told no part of the story. [details]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 12-15-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

It was never one of my favs but i did like it a little!!! Its nothing compaired to Rocky!!!

Comment

The boxing scenes were supposed to symbolize Lamotta's life. That's how I saw it. They were overly brutal for a reason.

Comment

I always thought that movie was a classic.

Comment

Sorry that this guy wrote this so short after the movie debuted. Never watching interviews of JAKE LAMOTTA himself saying how accurate the movie was in the ring, LaMotta was there the hole time helping Scorcese direct. And, Scorcese stated that it wasn't a boxing/sports movie.. it was a movie about Jake and Jake's perspective.. like the BOOK, which I own and read, and the movie was brilliant, better than Rocky, and better than Rudy, and better than Someone Up There Likes Me. This is a great movie, one of the best in cinematography history. But I am sorry for boxing's loss and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/v/YiVOwxsa4OM
              Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 12-15-2007, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I was made when I found out Deniro's best line in the movie "you never knocked me down Ray" never happened. I saw an interview where LaMotta was asked if he really said the line to Robinson and he said "I wish I did"

Comment

lol..woah...how can u compare Rocky to Raging Bull?...Rock wasmade for those who do not have to think too much...it was dumbed down to reach the masses,whereas Raging Bull is a classic,with a great script,superb acting,and an even better score. Rocky by comparison is tacky

Comment

Originally posted by barbwire5p View Post
                    Sorry that this guy wrote this so short after the movie debuted. Never watching interviews of JAKE LAMOTTA himself saying how accurate the movie was in the ring, LaMotta was there the hole time helping Scorcese direct. And, Scorcese stated that it wasn't a boxing/sports movie.. it was a movie about Jake and Jake's perspective.. like the BOOK, which I own and read, and the movie was brilliant, better than Rocky, and better than Rudy, and better than Someone Up There Likes Me. This is a great movie, one of the best in cinematography history. But I am sorry for boxing's loss and my condolences go out to his family and friends.
                    Don't know if it says in the link or not but,
                    He's also said tons of times that he didn't like all the swearing in the movie because neither of them sweared very often in real life.

Comment

Working...
                    X