No announcement yet.

Mayorga Wins in Twelve To Retire Vargas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayorga Wins in Twelve To Retire Vargas

By Sammy Rozenberg - Ricardo “El Matador” Mayorga (28-6-1, 22KOs) won a majority decision over “El Feroz” Fernando Vargas (26-5, 22KOs) in an action-packed fight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. The bout was fought at a catch-weight of 166-pounds.

The fight was called "The Brawl," and the first round lived up to the billing. Mayorga charging Vargas with power punch flurries to back him up. A hard combination sent Vargas down in the final seconds of the round. In the second Mayorga continued his assault by buckling the legs of Vargas with some telling blows.

The third saw Vargas begin to battle his way back, landing hard punches to the body and coming back with right hands. A cut opened up near the left eye of Vargas during an exchange.

In the middle to late rounds, the two fighters exchanged punches and neither seemed to gain a clear advantage. Mayorga fought the most composed fight of his career, staying away from his usual wild swinging punches and targeting the body with combinations. Vargas was a shell of his former self.

As the fight appeared to be on the table in the championship rounds, a solid right hand by Mayorga once again dropped Vargas in the final five seconds to secure the decision on the scorecards. The final round saw both of them pick their shots and battle in the final twenty-seconds.

The scores were 113-113 a draw, 114-112 and 115-111 for Mayorga. There were no excuses from Vargas after the fight, who also announced his retirement at the young age of 29-years-old.

"I Take nothing away from Ricardo Mayorga, he was the better man tonight," Vargas said. "This is it for me. This is my last fight." [details]

Good Action packed fight. I was happy I bought this PPV.

Vargas was very gracious in defeat and put up a great fight.

Comment

good fight

Comment

I Hope they show it on classics next weekend like they did with Iggy vs Holy.

Comment

Does anyone know if this can be downloaded yet?

Comment

It was a good fight, I was expecting a KO and a little more action, so Im happy that I didn't buy it and watched it on Sopcast.

Comment

i knew Vargas was shot u only had too see the 2nd Mosley fight to see that

Comment

i liked the fight, farewell vargas, take it easy on the posole, and menudo gordo.

Comment

Originally posted by pelonxsoldier28 View Post
                  i liked the fight, farewell vargas, take it easy on the posole, and menudo gordo.
                  I doubt he will if he got all the way up to 260 then he must not be able to lay off the food.

Comment

im watching the fight right now on setnana sports and i gta say vagras was so blown up lol

Comment

Working...
                    X