No announcement yet.

Cotto Continues To Rise, Decisions Mosley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto Continues To Rise, Decisions Mosley

Most action in that fight was when Mosley slipped in the 12th.

Cotto Beats Mosley

yay someone owes me some points muhahahah i knew he would win because of his style i think it was a gd fight.
    What does everyone else think?

Comment

Great fight! Really happy that Cotto won! Wish I had even more points to have bet on Cotto.

Comment

Cotto Continues To Rise, Decisions Mosley

By Sammy Rozenberg - The "Mecca of Boxing," New York's Madison Square Garden, was the battleground for one of the most intriguing bouts of the year. WBA world welterweight champion Miguel Cotto (30-0, 25KOs) kept his undefeated record intact by winning a unanimous decision over four-time world champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley (44-4, 37KOs).

The fight was a close pitched battle with Cotto using his power in the first few rounds to break the will of Mosley. Mosley countered by hitting to the body and flicking his jab, but it was Cotto's left jab and right hand that won most of the rounds for him. Mosley was able to neutralize Cotto's money punch, the left hook to the body. It was actually Mosley who played the role or the body puncher.

In the ninth round, Cotto was hurt from a combination of punches by Mosley, who began to pour on the punches as Cotto switched his style and began to stick and move. Cotto was able to use his ability as a boxer to hold onto his lead in the final three rounds to win the decision. The scores were 115-113, 115-113 and 116-113.

To show how close the fight was, Cotto landed 248 of 675 punches and Mosley landed 248 of 774 punches. Cotto landed the harder telling blows and Mosley began to land most of his shots in the second half of the fight.

In the opinion of many, this fight was the final step before landing a fight against WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. The odds are stacked against Cotto facing Ricky Hatton, should he upset Mayweather on December 8 in Las Vegas. Oscar De La Hoya has set his sights on a bout with Hatton in 2008, with the 56,000 seat Dodgers Stadium as the venue of choice. [details]

Comment

I thought Shane won it to be honest by two rounds. Two big performances by two good fighers. Great fight!

Comment

What a ****ing fight!!!!

Wow, this fight lived up to everything it was buily up as and even went further than some of the hype in my eyes. I don't think anybody here on boxingscene predicted that this of all fights would goto the judges scorecards.

I was highly impressed with Miguel Cotto's performance. Mosley had Cotto in trouble and/or on the defensive many times and never once threw a low blow or did anything that could be considered illegal. He took a ****load of bombs from Mosley and never once hit the deck, I think his chin is a bit better than most give him credit for.

I was even more impressed with Mosley, at 36 to not only have the balls to jump into the ring with a fighter like Cotto, but to beat him and keep him on the defensive for several rounds. Shane at 36 looks better than any other 36 year old fighter I've ever had the honor to see fight.

It was a close fight, one that could've gone to either Mosley or Cotto, or even a draw. It was a toe to toe brawl, a tactical battle, and a bomb throwing war all rolled into 12 solid rounds. Much respect to both fighters for their performance tonight.

Comment

I had it 115-113 like 2 of the official judges. I was waching it on UK tv can anyone tell me how lederman had it?

Comment

i think that fight was a disappointment. it wasnt a bad fight, but it was disappointing because it could have been so much better. in the middle rounds, mosley seemed to run away, in the later rounds, cotto ran away. in the 12th round, they did absolutely nothing! what the hell?!

it was a close fight. i had it scored at a 114-114 draw. but i dont think mosley did enough to win. and im sure jin mosley will greatly disagree with anyone who agrees with what i just said.

Comment

Originally posted by sterling View Post
                  yay someone owes me some points muhahahah i knew he would win because of his style i think it was a gd fight.
                  I tell you what I think...

Shane looked like a ****in' ****** in there most of the time. He spent a lot of those rounds waiting for Cotto to get off first, (watching) and if you're the faster boxer..why the **** would you do that? Didn't see his signature combination punching, virtually to adjustments for a predictable right hand lead, Shane still throwing that little weak ass useless left flicker jab in championship rounds. Despite all that, the fight was still close which really surprises me.

Had Shane gotten of first in at least two of the rounds between 4 and 8, he probably would've won or at least drawed... But honestly, neither fighter impressed me tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by sterling View Post
                    Speaking of which, take it out of your signature.

Comment

Working...
                    X