Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins: Bring It On!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins: Bring It On!

By John Hively - Joe Calzaghe decisively defeated Mikkel Kessler on November 3 in Cardiff, and established himself as one of the greatest fighters of our generation. Now is the time to enhance his legacy by moving up in weight and fighting Bernard Hopkins for the world light heavyweight title. That’s the fight we should all want to see.

Such a match would pit a crafty counter puncher against an aggressive, swarming, high-octane, speed demon with lots of ring savvy. Both have good punching power. They’d likely meet at ring center and throw leather all twelve rounds. Neither would fight off the ropes or clinch a whole lot.

It’s true these fighters have little to prove at this stage of their careers; except, well, maybe just a teeny little bit more.

Hopkins had physical advantages over the best opponents he defeated. He waited for Felix Trinidad, Oscar De La Hoya and Winky Wright to come up in weight to fight him, while Antonio Tarver had to shed forty pounds to defend his light heavyweight title against Bernard. [details]

I think this is the fight both boxers want but where to have it is going to be an issue.

Comment

Hopkins wins in the ugliest fight we've ever seen. You don't need to be a young man to win the way Bernard does it, you just need the tactics and experience. He could fight his style until he's 55.

Comment

nobody fight b-hop make him retire

Comment

holyfield next for calzaghe?

Comment

I agree. I think Joe should tell Bernard to go **** himself, and fight Pavlik instead @ 168. That would be a beautiful fight. Joe is going to tarnish his legacy by losing to Hopkins.

Comment

I would rather do Pavlik if I was Joe, agreed.

He would wipe the floor with Kelly.

Bernard will get em.

Comment

I keep saying this: If this fight goes down I will bet ANY and ALL points on B-Hop over Joe.

Comment

I dont want to see this fight at all. This wont even look like a boxing match. The ref had better eat his Wheaties the night before cause this is gonna be the ugliest fight ever fought on the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Marvelous View Post
                    I agree. I think Joe should tell Bernard to go **** himself, and fight Pavlik instead @ 168. That would be a beautiful fight. Joe is going to tarnish his legacy by losing to Hopkins.
                    I am a big fan of Pavlik, but what has he done besides defeat taylor to earn the right to get in the ring with Calzaghe. Wow before Lacy I never though I would say that. Anyways, Bernard is the right fight right now for Joe. A step up to the legimate champion at light heavyweight and willing to fight anywhere in the world, this fight will be big. Not as exciting as Calzaghe/Kessler, but big. And I will finally give Joe the nod in a close decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X