No announcement yet.

Maybe Arum Is the Promoter Who Doesn't Wear Men's Clothes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe Arum Is the Promoter Who Doesn't Wear Men's Clothes

BY MICHAEL KATZ - Okay, Kelly Pavlik is good for boxing, MAYBE, if Bob Arum lets him; rematches like Manny Pacquiao-Marco Antonio Barrera II are not, especially when falsely entitled "Will to Win," and Samuel Peter is barely the savior of Samuel Peter, certainly not of the heavyweight division.

At least the game has more fronts than a Ken Burns documentary. Just when I'm thinking the Chicken is no hen, friends are telling me not to be so sure that those pictures weren't real, that the reason Oscar de la Hoya bought Ring magazine was he feared he would become a centerfold or that his big fight next year will be against Laila Ali. These are the things we talk about while awaiting the main event, but one of the great things about boxing is that hotter rumors are always closer than your next paycheck.

Sometimes, the rumors are true.

For example, as those gathered at Mandalay Bay patiently awaited the end of the interminable semifinal to Pacquiao-Barrera II - well, Bert Sugar was not so patient, asking "where is Dr. Kavorkian when you need him" - the word went around that, in New York, Jameel McCline had dropped Samuel Peter three times in the first two rounds.

"Did Peter win?" I asked. "Did McCline pass the steroids test?"

The fight was still going on, but at least instead of having to watch Steven Luevano make a Herculean task of Antonio Davis, we could close our eyes and imagine the look on Dino Duva's face (later, when I got home to watch the Showtime telecast, I was pleased to see that he kept his cool, at least on the outside). Or, we could imagine the look on Oleg Maskaev's face. Or Dennis Rappaport's. [details]

Katsidis is a writer as well? I thought all those shots to his head would have impeded his literary abilities, I guess I was wrong, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      BY MICHAEL KATZ - Okay, Kelly Pavlik is good for boxing, MAYBE, if Bob Arum lets him; rematches like Manny Pacquiao-Marco Antonio Barrera II are not, especially when falsely entitled "Will to Win," and Samuel Peter is barely the savior of Samuel Peter, certainly not of the heavyweight division.

At least the game has more fronts than a Ken Burns documentary. Just when I'm thinking the Chicken is no hen, friends are telling me not to be so sure that those pictures weren't real, that the reason Oscar de la Hoya bought Ring magazine was he feared he would become a centerfold or that his big fight next year will be against Laila Ali. These are the things we talk about while awaiting the main event, but one of the great things about boxing is that hotter rumors are always closer than your next paycheck.

Sometimes, the rumors are true.

For example, as those gathered at Mandalay Bay patiently awaited the end of the interminable semifinal to Pacquiao-Barrera II - well, Bert Sugar was not so patient, asking "where is Dr. Kavorkian when you need him" - the word went around that, in New York, Jameel McCline had dropped Samuel Peter three times in the first two rounds.

"Did Peter win?" I asked. "Did McCline pass the steroids test?"

The fight was still going on, but at least instead of having to watch Steven Luevano make a Herculean task of Antonio Davis, we could close our eyes and imagine the look on Dino Duva's face (later, when I got home to watch the Showtime telecast, I was pleased to see that he kept his cool, at least on the outside). Or, we could imagine the look on Oleg Maskaev's face. Or Dennis Rappaport's. [details]
      wow i already thought i knew who the biggest haters were on this website, now i have to add this guy to the top of the list.

Comment

Michael Katz sometimes writes like he is in some surreal boxing world where everything works according to charts and theories that are created by some keyboard warriors.

Comment

Michael Katz Used to write on Maxboxing, They would charge to read his stuff. Atleast we get to read him for free here, thanx for the read.

Comment

you know what writers i like to read?

writers that actually like the sport they are covering. i don't see the ufc writers always crying about how there sport sucks and things were so much better 20 years ago. old farts like katz need to stop getting published they are bad for our sport

Comment

Originally posted by josofo View Post
              you know what writers i like to read?

writers that actually like the sport they are covering. i don't see the ufc writers always crying about how there sport sucks and things were so much better 20 years ago. old farts like katz need to stop getting published they are bad for our sport
              I agree with you, but also I dont mind seeing both sides of the coin. You will never get that with UFC because they pay everybody off.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
                I agree with you, but also I dont mind seeing both sides of the coin. You will never get that with UFC because they pay everybody off.
                Well the in between is not finding things to ***** about... Katz clearly went out of his way to make sure the world knew his **** was spewing blood.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
                  Well the in between is not finding things to ***** about... Katz clearly went out of his way to make sure the world knew his **** was spewing blood.
                  His articles are always like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
                    Michael Katz Used to write on Maxboxing, They would charge to read his stuff. Atleast we get to read him for free here, thanx for the read.
                    He wrote for The Ring and a number of other publications too.

Joining you in thanking BoxingScene for the good read... yes, even more thanks that it's free.

Comment

Working...
                    X