No announcement yet.

Let's Not Jinx It, But There May Be a Major Fight This Weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Not Jinx It, But There May Be a Major Fight This Weekend

BY MICHAEL KATZ - They're threatening to put Mike Tyson in prison and thought about giving Foul Pole Golota a title shot. Meanwhile, the fall schedule for which we had as much anticipation as the "plop plop" from a bottle of ketchup, if you recall those wonderful Heinz ads of years ago, has become a headache, more like Alka-Seltzer's "plop, plop, fizz, fizz." Oh, what a relief it is to have a major fight Saturday.

In the meantime, I haven't watched a minute of the Contender, ever, and I refuse to look at "Dancing With the Stars" to check out Floyd Mayweather Jr. We know he can dance and, as one scribe (can't remember who, otherwise of course I'd give him credit) noted, he just can't punch. Mr. 24/7 thinks he's better than the original Sugar Ray, who was in fact a professional dancer (try it with taps on, Floyd). Robinson could also knock you out with either hand - going backwards. There were middleweights back then.

I'm beginning to suspect that Saturday's HBO main event is more significant because it is a legitimate middleweight championship bout between two undefeated fighters - not because it's a matchup of compelling talents. How good REALLY is Jermain Taylor after his recent struggles with immigrants from the 147-pound class? And should we take Kelly Pavlik at face value when hall of fame trainer Emanuel Steward thinks he's just another "over-rated, hyped" fighter? [details]

If any of them get an injury now, that person is a *****. I don't care if its taylor or pavlik, if someone tries to pull an injury card because their getting scared. Then **** them. This fight better be on this Saturday. I don't believe in that injury coincidence **** when theres only 3 days left till fight day..

Comment

This article's title is a ripoff of that other guys article title.

ill read in a sec

Comment

Originally posted by Kball15 View Post
        This article's title is a ripoff of that other guys article title.

ill read in a sec
        "That other guy?" Five months here, 40 articles, a handful of videos, and I'm still no better than TBA?! Sheesh!

Comment

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I can't believe you even brought this up.

By now they are both done with basically everything except losing the weight, so why don't we get these two locked up in padded rooms now?

Comment

HBO has done a good job in giving us a "free" fight with two major figures. They have given it the full "Countdown" treatment, and have promoted that heavily.

Comment

Couldn't agree more that Taylor has created his own hybrid title of Champion-Contender based on his less than stellar performance against guys he should have walked through in short order.

I'm guessing that Taylor simply won't respond well to the first clean shot, of any variety, from Pavlik. Essentially, his belief that Pavlik is nothing more that a hyped opponent, will not serve him well. That first good shot will wake up Taylor, but his immaturity will prevail and he won't adjust and will again not listen and respond to Stewart's instructions under fire.

I don't see an upset with Pavlik's win. Instead, I see natural selection at it's best. The stronger, more active and mentally stronger fighter defeats the more skilled but mentally weaker Taylor.

Comment

It's Michael Katz my friend.

He's got an original thought or two on the fight game.

I'll give you credit though for saying "that other guy", because he's most likely deserving of that reference, when compared to Katz contributions.

Comment

No need to diss Jake; quality young writers matter.

Comment

BPP, let me remind you, you are a quif.

Comment

Working...
                    X