No announcement yet.

Sugar Shane Worthy of His Great Moniker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Shane Worthy of His Great Moniker

By Don Colgan - The “Sugar Ray” moniker is very sacrilegious in boxing. Once, in a welterweight non-title tiff in the late 1940’s, Sugar Ray Robinson’s opponent had the audacity to call himself Sugar and was introduced accordingly. After the introductions the two fighters met at ring center for the customary handshake and Sugar informed his opponent that there was “Only one Sugar.” 90 seconds Ray landed a picture perfect right cross and “Sugar”, the imposter, was summarily counted out.

Many years later, when Ray Leonard began to blaze his legendary path as an eventual Gold Medalist on the 1976 US Olympic Squad, he telephoned the original Sugar Ray and asked permission to be referred to as such. Robinson had seen Leonard fight and gave his consent. He permitted Leonard entry into a truly exclusive club.

Leonard wasn’t always Sugar Ray. When he wrested the WBA welterweight Champion from Wilfred Benitez, his first championship, he informed the press that he was putting the dance, dazzle and punch act on the shelf for one night. He was going to punch with the younger champion when the occasion presented itself. After his 15th round TKO victory, he told the press, “I wasn’t Sugar Ray tonight, I was Ray Leonard.” [details]

lol i enjoyed reading it, even if it was a complete load of rubbish.....lol

He seems to write as if he's just stating fact when most of the time he's
    just offering his own personal opinion which although may be popular
    opinion, still remains just an opinion. secondly, mosley used the sugar
    title for making money the same way DLH used GoldenBoy, great
    business decision really but never will shane mosley's name rank up there
    with such great company as Ray Leonard and Ray Robinson.

Comment

Sugar Shane Mosley has a largely empty resume. He is one of the more overrated fighters of our time. Shane certainly has a great skills package. Athleticism. Chin. Balls. But a fully-toasted Vargas, Estrada and Collazo don't cut it.

Shane's best win is the first fight with ODLH....and keep in mind that Oscar himself hasn't really beaten anyone except Quartey.

And Mosley's business decisions have been atrocious.

Comment

Well those 4 losses are killing him. It wouldn't be as bad if he had lost 4 times to 4 different fighters avengin all those losses in the rematch but to lose to 2 fighters twice in a row each. Even if he had beaten them it wouldn't have been that big of deal. Forrest and Winky weren't nothing at the time he fought them and had he beaten them they wouldn't be nothing. Still credit to him for giving those guys a shot. Anybody else would have pulled the business card avoiding these guys because they can't sell ppvs and are not popular

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir303 View Post
          Well those 4 losses are killing him. It wouldn't be as bad if he had lost 4 times to 4 different fighters avengin all those losses in the rematch but to lose to 2 fighters twice in a row each. Even if he had beaten them it wouldn't have been that big of deal. Forrest and Winky weren't nothing at the time he fought them and had he beaten them they wouldn't be nothing. Still credit to him for giving those guys a shot. Anybody else would have pulled the business card avoiding these guys because they can't sell ppvs and are not popular
          I can agree on Forrest, but Wright was already making a lot of noise and the clear favorite to most "smart" people when Mosley fought him.

Comment

This fight is the MOST important fight of the year. When Cotto defeated Judah; I said he finally had a win to show off. Cotto graduated as star in Boxing. From Mosley side, writer said it all.

It's a tough call, if Mosley wins, Cotto will look like Mayweather. A guy "protected" on his way to the TOP. Mosley will still be questioned because of his 4 loses. In the other hand, if Cotto wins, the world will get to see if Mayweather has the cojones to fight Cotto. I see Mayweather having difficulties matching up to Cotto and even Paul Williams. He will rsther fight Mosley or Cintron, before facing Cotto or Williams.

So for the good of Boxing, a HUGE fight between 2 undefeateds it's far more interesting than a fight agaisnt the "Sugar" with 4 loses. On November 10th, we will get to see if Cotto earns a chance to beat the Best Pound for Pound Boxer next year. Mosley will not be a stepping stone.

Comment

Originally posted by MaFu MoFo View Post
              This fight is the MOST important fight of the year. When Cotto defeated Judah; I said he finally had a win to show off. Cotto graduated as star in Boxing. From Mosley side, writer said it all.

It's a tough call, if Mosley wins, Cotto will look like Mayweather. A guy "protected" on his way to the TOP. Mosley will still be questioned because of his 4 loses. In the other hand, if Cotto wins, the world will get to see if Mayweather has the cojones to fight Cotto. I see Mayweather having difficulties matching up to Cotto and even Paul Williams. He will rsther fight Mosley or Cintron, before facing Cotto or Williams.

So for the good of Boxing, a HUGE fight between 2 undefeateds it's far more interesting than a fight agaisnt the "Sugar" with 4 loses. On November 10th, we will get to see if Cotto earns a chance to beat the Best Pound for Pound Boxer next year. Mosley will not be a stepping stone.
              I agree. That would be the best scenerio. Still all the purists out there are already picking mosley to win and consider mosley the guy that has the most tools to beat floyd. People are on cotto's nuts like they were on miranda's for a while until he ran into Kelly pavlik. People were on that "taylor is ducking Miranda" hype train and now you have a whole different matchup between pavlik and taylor. I got mosley on this but the best scenerio would be if cotto would win so we have two prime fighters going at each other. With cotto knocking out mosley his hype status would even increase more. Hell floyd could even walk in as the underdog vs cotto if he knocks out mosley.

Comment

Sean has been overated since his wins over Vargas. But lets not forget he started at 135 and was looking like a destroyer before he met up with Forrest. He is not an all timer in my books. He needs one more win to be inducted into the HOF, IMO. Reminds me alot of Virgil Hill's career, really. Many similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by DIOS DOMINICANO View Post
                  and keep in mind that Oscar himself hasn't really beaten anyone except Quartey.
                  wtf?

Comment

How good was Sugar Ray Seales? I've been curious, because I know he won a gold medal, and kind of lost his career after Hagler beat that ass. How good was he before Marvin demoralized him?

Comment

Working...
                    X