No announcement yet.

Kendall Holt's Success Story: 'I Love the Person I Am'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendall Holt's Success Story: 'I Love the Person I Am'

BY MICHAEL KATZ - He knew the baby would be a boy, long before he even met the woman who would be its mother. With just as much certainty, Kendall Holt knows he will be returning to Paterson, N.J., with a world title and so what if the champion has the home-ring advantage and one of the judges hails from the same town in Colombia and another judge has the same last name?

Kendall Holt, son of an abusive father and a mother who did time for first-degree manslaughter, has been challenging fate ever since living on the streets after being shuttled to various foster homes. On Saturday, in Barranquilla, he faces a considerably lesser challenge when he tries to take a junior welterweight belt from Ricardo Torres.

But win, lose or technical draw - Holt has already become one of the cuddliest stories in boxing.

"I love the person I am," he said, and he wasn't talking about being a boxing champion.

"I want people to understand that I have other goals than being an undisputed champion or on the pound-for-pound list. I want more out of boxing than just brain damage."

He still wants to win the belt Saturday. It doesn't figure to be easy, even if the bookmakers have established Holt as the 8-5 favorite. As the late great trainer, Freddie Brown, used to caution, "When you're out of town, you're out of town."

Winning on the road is seldom easy in boxing, but considering the road Holt had to take to get where he is, the toughest segments have already been successfully negotiated. Holt is 26 and his feel-good story is being written by a local fight writer and member of BoxingScene.com's staff, Keith Idec. [details]

I hate this Writers Snobby "This IS going to happen and this WILL happen..." It reminds me why i hate BOXING4REAL so much.

Anyway, Holt's story is incredible and i can't wait to read his biography

Comment

Man I want to put money on Holt. The story makes me want too even more. This being in Columbia is makin' me nervous though. If it was in the US I'd go big.

Comment

Originally posted by damian5000 View Post
        Man I want to put money on Holt. The story makes me want too even more. This being in Columbia is makin' me nervous though. If it was in the US I'd go big.
        torres will win by a ko, so don't be worried. Holt won't get robbed, he'll just get ko'd

Comment

"This writer" is probably the greatest living boxing writer in the U.S. if not the world and has logged four decades.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteSoldier View Post
            torres will win by a ko, so don't be worried. Holt won't get robbed, he'll just get ko'd
            Even that can be a robbery (like Holt's only loss)...Unless it's a straight up knockout which I don't see happening.

Comment

Holt could also KO Torres.

and he is quick and more mature than the last time he fight and i dont think Holt is going for dicesion becuase Torres will have the advantge for sure he is going to Columiba for a KO

Comment

Originally posted by Kball15 View Post
                I hate this Writers Snobby "This IS going to happen and this WILL happen..." It reminds me why i hate BOXING4REAL so much.

Anyway, Holt's story is incredible and i can't wait to read his biography
                I know you just didn't compare Michael Katz to a youtube boxingshow produced by Don Omega of this very forum.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteSoldier View Post
                  Want to bet? Holt is gonna tear Torres the hell up.

Comment

Originally posted by damian5000 View Post
                    Even that can be a robbery (like Holt's only loss)...Unless it's a straight up knockout which I don't see happening.
                    I dont understand...how was Holt's loss a robbery? He was knocked out and counted out.

Comment

Working...
                    X