No announcement yet.

Johnson vs. Langford: The Bout That Never Was

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson vs. Langford: The Bout That Never Was

By Don Colgan - This journey to a boxing epic features Jack Johnson defending his Heavyweight Championship against an old adversary during the era, Sam Langford. The bout was rumored, discussed and even agreed to over a drink at a bar between Johnson and Langford. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Don Colgan - This journey to a boxing epic features Jack Johnson defending his Heavyweight Championship against an old adversary during the era, Sam Langford. The bout was rumored, discussed and even agreed to over a drink at a bar between Johnson and Langford. [details]
    I THOGHT THEY FOUGHT

Comment

I've just read the article. Laughable !! Apart from the errors and omissions of fact, spelling mistakes, and contortions of syntax, as soon as I read, at the beginning of the fantasy fight, that Langford had banged a punch off the "top" of Johnson's head, I knew that the rest would be attempted "excitment"-building pseudocrap. Johnson ALWAYS fought off the BACK foot, leaning VERy much backwards, with his arms extended, like V Klitschko does today, but even more so. (I don't think HE'S ever been hit on the TOP of his head). In the several books I've read, this defensive fact made the difficulty of hitting Johnson cleanly even worse. That a 5' 6" fighter could even reach the top of the head of a moving, perfectly conditioned fighter who was 6" taller, leaning back OUT OF REACH, who was the VERY best fighter in the world (even TODAY, recognised as the top defensive genius of ALL time), and in the top 5 of ALL time (if not still the very best)...............is, as I say, laughable.

Colgan is normally a SERIOUS writer.........

EGW

Comment

Originally posted by braveheart31 View Post
        I THOGHT THEY FOUGHT
        They did, but it was the rematch that never took place. It was one of those fights, like the Jones-Hopkins rematch, that was always announced as a done deal or in the process of being made, but never actually took place.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          They did fight, I posted a description of the fight on my Greatest fight thread.... If you don't know about it,...... I'm not telling...... you'll have to read the thread..... and maybe you'll learn somethin'.

Comment

Working...
          X