No announcement yet.

Holyfield Continues The Hard Road Back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holyfield Continues The Hard Road Back

By Tim Smith - The promoters of the match between former four-time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield and Lou Savarese in El Paso on Saturday night have optimistically titled the match “The Road to the Championship.’’

It is that kind of optimism that kept Juan Ponce de Leon searching for the fountain of youth. At 44 years old, Holyfield’s search for another undisputed heavyweight championship is about as fruitless as Ponce de Leon’s quest. Fortunately for Holyfield he probably won’t get shot in the shoulder with a poison arrow and die like Ponce de Leon.

But this is boxing, so you never know.

Holyfield is almost three-years removed from his suspension from boxing by Ron Scott Stevens, the chairman of the New York State Athletic Commission. Stevens suspended Holyfield after his pathetic performance against Larry Donald at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 13, 2004. Holyfield was on the shelf for two years, even though he passed the medical exams by the N.Y.S.A.C. During that period of inactivity, Holyfield said he was able to heal from two shoulder surgeries that had made it nearly impossible for him to throw his jab. [details]

Go Holyfield!!! Knock his ass out

Comment

I think the bigger question here is: What's Holyfield going to do after he beats Saverese? The WBC title is going to be wrapped up for some time with all of title shots its promised; while IBF champ Wlad Klitscko is not the type that would give Holyfield a shot and the WBA/WBO titles will be unified in October.

So what's Evander to do in the interim? Does he fight another tuneup against better competition? Does he wait for a shot at the WBA/WBO?....

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I think the bigger question here is: What's Holyfield going to do after he beats Saverese? The WBC title is going to be wrapped up for some time with all of title shots its promised; while IBF champ Wlad Klitscko is not the type that would give Holyfield a shot and the WBA/WBO titles will be unified in October.

So what's Evander to do in the interim? Does he fight another tuneup against better competition? Does he wait for a shot at the WBA/WBO?....
        Great points.

My best guess is that he gets a fight with the winner of the WBA/WBO title fight in early 2008.

I doubt Holyfield will win but maybe after getting one more shot that will satisfy him and he retires.

Comment

Anyone here buying this ppv tonight?....

Comment

I might if I can find decent odds with Holyfield. But we all know my round by round wouldn't be worth crap. But I can tell you how many people are watching the fight and if they're yelling and stuff.
            Last edited by damian5000; 06-30-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

No way, but I hope big Lou rids us of steroid boy once and for all.

ww

Comment

Originally posted by damian5000 View Post
                I might if I can find decent odds with Holyfield. But we all know my round by round wouldn't be worth crap. But I can tell you how many people are watching the fight and if they're yelling and stuff.
                i would buy it if i could but stupid dish network isnt covering it =/

Comment

What time is the fight starting????

In GMT, UK time if you van please

Comment

I hope he loses. This is all false hope. Without Briggs as a champion, he has no shot.

Comment

Working...
                    X