No announcement yet.

Boxing’s All Mixed Up In Martial Arts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing’s All Mixed Up In Martial Arts

By Zach Arnold - In the mid-1970s, Japanese pro-wrestling legend Antonio Inoki had a plan to make himself and his company, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, famous worldwide. Inoki embarked on a series of worked fights against martial artists called the “world of kakutougi (fight skill)” series. The goal of the program was to create an image that pro-wrestlers were the strongest athletes in the world and that New Japan Pro-Wrestling was the “King of Sports.” [details]

You asked .... Why did Jim Lampley take a gratuitous cheap shot at MMA during boxing’s biggest mega-fight PPV telecast?

The answer is simple. He was simply being consistent. During the Salt Lake Olympics, he would take similar shots at any team or athlete that was not performing at the anticipated level. Trouyble is, he got egg on his face more than once, when those athletes/teams actually turned it around and grabbed some medals.

Lampley is not original in anything he says or does.
    Last edited by Moon; 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM. Reason: x

Comment

I agree with Lampley 100%, I don't agree what Max Kellerman said, I guess Max is also into MMA!

Comment

At least he wasn't stupid enough to say it's fake.

Comment

I can't believe that this big of a fight could catch this much negative press towards boxing.

Wow, this could actually be boxing's last ever real huge superfight...

I'm always going to be around the sport and following the sport but I am very discouraged by all the negativity towards boxing that is coming out of what should be a very positive event...

Attitude is everything. The general population is going to decide whether or not they want to make an event like this a funeral or a ressurection of the sport, and it looks like the mainstream has decided on a funeral...

I think I'm drifting into a stage of acceptance that boxing isn't ever going to be as big as it was before.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
            At least he wasn't stupid enough to say it's fake.
            I guess he does not watch enough!

Comment

I was around many people this past Saturday watching the fight and the majority said they did not really enjoy the fight or "It was boring." Some were casual fans and others were true fans of the sport. It is weird seeing things die down while another is started to take the big stage. It is like the difference between seeing Soft **** and hardcore ****: once you see somebody slam that ass, you do not go back to the slow pace stuff.

MMA is on the rise, no question about that.

I have stated before that in ancient Greece, boxing was big, but the sport that surpassed it was Pankration, similar to MMA.

People want to see violence, pain, blood, victory and defeat.

Maybe if there were more fights like Gatti vs. Ward boxing would still be at the top or on the same level, but not many fights like that take place, at least not with the level of skill at least a Gatti has.

This really sucks; I am not a big fan of MMA. I just cannot stand how quick a fight can be stopped, most fighters are not that coordinated with their hands, a lot of holding and touching each other on the floor, etc.
              I will give the fighters this; Fighters seem to be better now/more well rounded at a higher level today then prior, making fights better.

I would like to see boxing lower the size of the gloves, at least back, to what they used to be prior to Vegas increasing them. I would not even mind seeing Heavyweights use 8oz "Reyes", and the rest under HW use 6oz.

I do not want to hear the nonsense that "Die Hard" boxing fans should never prefer another sport (like MMA) to boxing because that is BULL****.
              It would be like me trying to stick with "Ford" for cars just because they are "American", even though they suck. If a Japanese car is better, flashier, go with that.

I also wonder this, when will the MMA fighters start to demand big money. Right now some are getting paid OK, but they should be getting a lot more based on their numbers.
              Somebody needs to make a move.

Boxing also better make some changes and stop increasing glove size because nobody once to see a boring fight of "tag your it" or sparring matches.

This sucks, I want a Prime Tyson back.
              Last edited by Benny Leonard; 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I stopped reading the article when I read th name of the author - "Zach Arnold", a pro wrestling fan and an MMA dumbass trying to bring negatovoty towards boxing again...

Comment

I posted on another forum about how whether you believe Lampley or you don't it was a stupid thing to say. You had a boxing bout that was the biggest hyped fight in at least the last 5 years. It did not live up to the hype, although IMO it was a good fight, just not a spectacular one that people hoped for. So after the fight did not match the hype, Lampley was stupid enough to give boxing's biggest competition FREE publicity to MILLIONS of people. It's like the old saying goes, 'all publicity is good publicity'.

Comment

i don't understand how anyone can find ufc exciting/entertaining, they fight like men for a few seconds before tumbling to the floor and humping the **** out of each other for the duration of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X