No announcement yet.

Faster, Younger Floyd Too Much For Aging Golden Boy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster, Younger Floyd Too Much For Aging Golden Boy

by Mike Dunn - There hasn't been as much buzz about a non-heavyweight fight like this for a long time, at least since Oscar De La Hoya took on the unbeaten Felix Trinidad in 1999. Oscar vs. Floyd actually goes beyond that, though. It reminds me of the hype and atmosphere that surrounded Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran for their first encounter in Montreal back in 1980. [details]

I give De La Hoya credit. He didn't take this fight on a whim and he's in great shape. Sparring with Mosley is helping him immensely and having Floyd Sr. in his corner will also be beneficial.
    Whats he talking about??

Comment

This is ridiculous to me, when people say that Mayweather is so much younger than Oscar when they are three years apart. Oscar is 33 and it's not like he is an old fighter that has taken beatings in his career, if anything he is a young 33 being that he never took punishment over his career. Oscar has had long layoffs between his last few fights and it has never negatively affected him,he has always come back stronger. Also, it is stupid of this guy to say that Floyd is more battle ready. All you have to do is look at the twos resumes to know that is bull****. Using an old way past his prime Gatti that Oscar punished years before, a past his prime Mitchell,a flat footed,slow,Baldomir that already had 9 losses, and an overrated,mentally weak,glass jawed Judah that has never shown up in a major fight and melted down instead, not to mewntion he was coming off a loss to Baldy is a weak as argument to say that he is more battle ready. Oscar has fought the best of the best even moving up to middleweight to fight B-Hop when he was the undisputed middleweight champ knowing that Hop was much bigger and stronger, not to mention Oscar is used to the big stage being in so many high profile fights this is all second nature to him by now. On this majoer stage I would mentally have to give Oscar the edge on this one because he has been doing this his whole career and Floyd has never been close to being involved in an event like this, and the Gatti fight isn't the same kind of atmosphere that Oscar brings.

Comment

Originally posted by jai mari078 View Post
        This is ridiculous to me, when people say that Mayweather is so much younger than Oscar when they are three years apart. Oscar is 33 and it's not like he is an old fighter that has taken beatings in his career, if anything he is a young 33 being that he never took punishment over his career. Oscar has had long layoffs between his last few fights and it has never negatively affected him,he has always come back stronger. Also, it is stupid of this guy to say that Floyd is more battle ready. All you have to do is look at the twos resumes to know that is bull****. Using an old way past his prime Gatti that Oscar punished years before, a past his prime Mitchell,a flat footed,slow,Baldomir that already had 9 losses, and an overrated,mentally weak,glass jawed Judah that has never shown up in a major fight and melted down instead, not to mewntion he was coming off a loss to Baldy is a weak as argument to say that he is more battle ready. Oscar has fought the best of the best even moving up to middleweight to fight B-Hop when he was the undisputed middleweight champ knowing that Hop was much bigger and stronger, not to mention Oscar is used to the big stage being in so many high profile fights this is all second nature to him by now. On this majoer stage I would mentally have to give Oscar the edge on this one because he has been doing this his whole career and Floyd has never been close to being involved in an event like this, and the Gatti fight isn't the same kind of atmosphere that Oscar brings.
        Oscars 34. But i see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
          Oscars 34. But i see your point.
          Ok he may be 34 now but he is not old by any means everyone seems to want to act like hes this old **** that has lost his skill and reflexes. he is still a young 34 and if anything else he is more experienced and smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by jai mari078 View Post
            Ok he may be 34 now but he is not old by any means everyone seems to want to act like hes this old **** that has lost his skill and reflexes. he is still a young 34 and if anything else he is more experienced and smarter.
            He's deffinatley got more experience. I think hes got a better chance of winning this fight than people think. NOBODY knows how Floyd will fight at 154, where as we all know Oscar can fight at 154. And nobody really knows what Floyds going to be like if he gets hurt. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
              He's deffinatley got more experience. I think hes got a better chance of winning this fight than people think. NOBODY knows how Floyd will fight at 154, where as we all know Oscar can fight at 154. And nobody really knows what Floyds going to be like if he gets hurt. Guess we will just have to wait and see.
              I completely agree with you. We know Oscar has a good chin but how will mayweather react after if he gets hurt. I also really don't think that mayweather will be al that much faster than Oscar. if Oscar establishes his jab early he can neutralize that speed and by working the body he could slow Floyd down being the much heavier punches. He doesn't necessarily have to land bombs to the head right away. By hitting his shoulders and arms will take a toll and could open things up. I think Oscar has a really good chance, and everyone that thinks Floyd is gonnaeasily coast to a win and win by a wide margin are sorely mistaken.

Comment

people act as if from de la hoya's last fight you could tell her was slowing down, he looked like the same old oscar de la hoya

Comment

lol @ the writer.... "knocked down Mayorga twice en route to the decision"?

WTF....

Comment

I was never conviced about Oscar wining Mayorga I feel it was kinda of acting or something because Mayorga was with Oscar in one of the press conference as well as before the Mayorga fight Oscar was chatting and smiling with Don King having a nice conversation.

even when Oscar was in his prime he really didnt have the stamina with the age and a person that he have to work and move around the ring more will give alot of problems becuase when you tired and punchs come toward you your too tried to move and it is unexpected coming toward you that will hurt him in the fight even for a light puncher.

but still Oscar chin is as steel that could take him toward the 12 rounds of boxing if he didnt tired himself out and I think Mayweather will play it smartly and hit the body so Oscar would slow down and the more he hit to the body the fast Oscar going to get tired

Comment

Working...
                    X