No announcement yet.

Mikkel Kessler: Viking Ready to Set Sail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikkel Kessler: Viking Ready to Set Sail

By Ronan Keenan - Some four hundred years before Christopher Columbus landed in the New World, Leif Eriksson led a Viking expedition to the east coast of North America. The mission proved to be futile as the natives eventually drove out the invaders, while also destroying any telling evidence of the Norsemen’s presence.

Now, a new “Viking Warrior” is preparing to launch an incursion to America, and he is set to give a loud forewarning of his arrival. On Saturday night, Mikkel Kessler intends on sending a message across the Atlantic via HBO when he faces US-based Mexican Librado Andrade in Copenhagen.

“I want to fight against the best fighters in the world,” Kessler said. “That is what I am working for and the fight against Andrade gives me the opportunity to show the world my ability.”

The 28-year-old Dane is proud of his Scandinavian heritage, as the large Viking tattoo on his torso attests. For the last three years, Kessler has been terrorising the super-middleweight division in a manner that would make his ancestors proud. Dominant victories over quality fighters have grabbed the attention of US observers in a manner that has eluded most northern European fighters.

“Kessler’s got talent and marketability,” Doug Fischer of MaxBoxing told BoxingScene. “HBO has already shown an interest in him showing clips of his victory over Markus Beyer and his up-coming fight with Andrade. He is a very big, very talented, and very skilled boxer. I rate Kessler right behind [world number one] Joe Calzaghe.”

What’s more, each of Kessler’s recent performances has been more impressive than his last, despite the rising standard of the opposition. In 2004, he stepped in at short notice to challenge Manny Siaca for a version of the 168lbs world title. The Puerto Rican seemed bewildered by the quality of Kessler’s boxing skills and after absorbing countless neck-snapping jabs, he wisely remained on his stool as the bell sounded for the eight round. [details]

I've seen the Beyer fight on Kessler, and he looks like a beast. I'd love to see Calzaghe face him. It would seem like a no-brainer to unify against a reputed champ, but Joe has other plans, I guess. (see:Manfredo )

Comment

Working...
    X