Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Fight Analysis: Vazquez vs. Marquez – Too Light To Be A Big Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Fight Analysis: Vazquez vs. Marquez – Too Light To Be A Big Fight?

“The only thing that will bring new fans to boxing is fresh, exciting fights,” said Gary Shaw when asked about the future of the fight game.

On March 3rd, the promoter will be backing up his words when he presents what is already being labelled a potential fight of the year candidate. Mexican pride and The Ring’s 122lb title will be on the line when the world’s best bantamweight, Rafael Marquez climbs four pounds to challenge current champion Israel Vazquez.

It’s a dream pairing; two hard-hitting warriors at the peak of their powers aiming to secure their place in ring immortality in a matchup that brings back memories of the most famous Mexican ‘Civil War’.

At a time when the Marco Antonio Barrera-Erik Morales battles are fading to memory, Saturday’s confrontation will surely give the bantamweight classes a much needed boost.

“Fights like Marquez-Vazquez are critical for the lower weights,” Showtime analyst Steve Farhood told BoxingScene. “They bring attention to divisions that some fans ignore.

“It's easy to understand; there are very few Americans fighting at featherweight and below. But when two punchers like this match up, it creates exposure the junior featherweights would otherwise fail to secure. Also, it dispels the myth that the smaller guys can't punch.”

IMPACT

But does such a tantalising fight really make a difference to the sport as a whole? In an era when boxing’s exposure is being threatened by UFC, WWE and just about everything else that airs on the countless cable channels, will scraps between bantamweights be enough to make an impact? [details]

i keep going back and forth on this one.
    marquez moving up. only one fight in '06.
    vasquez being in many wars.
    i think i'm going with the favorite marquez in bspl. but feel vasquez might do it.
    if i was betting money i'd go with the better odds on vasquez
    Last edited by STEELHEAD; 03-01-2007, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X