No announcement yet.

A Week of Competing Headlines Led by Mayweather-De La Hoya Tour

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Week of Competing Headlines Led by Mayweather-De La Hoya Tour

This week was full of boxing stories, though there wasn’t much action in the ring.

In out-of-the-ring heavyweight news was the non-story that Lennox Lewis might come out of retirement to rematch Vitali Klitschko. This rumor has circulated at least annually since Lewis hung up his gloves and looks like the new feel good “Foreman to Fight Again” headline.

Even given the history and previous denials the story has produced in the past few years, promoter Bob Arum apparently set things in motion when he told Frank Warren, who then told the “Daily Mail” newspaper in London, England, “No matter how often a boxer says he will never come back, the money always talks louder in the end if the offer is big enough.” He then continued, “I am told Lennox is back in the gym and this is an enormous fight in the making.”

Next year when this story circulates yet again wait for the official statement from Lewis’s camp before you get too excited.

Hell, maybe I’ll start a rumor that Joe Mesi and Tommy Morrison will appear on the same card in West Virginia the same night David Tua nearly loses to unheralded Robert Hawkins.

Whoops!

I can’t folks, because that one is true!

Last Thursday, a night which I have dubbed “has-been heavyweight night” featured all of those things. Perhaps emboldened by the universally recognized weakness of the division, David Tua and Joe Mesi continued their comeback while apparently HIV-free Tommy Morrison re-launched his career.

Mesi and Morrison fought on the same card at the Mountaineer in Chester, West Virginia. Both hit the showers early after KO’ing their opponents in one and two rounds. Tua trimmed nine pounds from his bulky body since we saw him beat Maurice Wheeler three and a half months ago, but was lucky to escape with a unanimous decision over Hawkins.

The next spectacle in this weight class will happen in a few weeks when Eric “Butterbean” Esch fights on the same card with his son, Brandon Esch, who will debut on March 9th at The Palladium in Worcester, Massachusetts. Local buffets have been warned of the Esch’s tag team ability to KO all-you-can-eat deals and local toughmen have reportedly started lining up for a sure pay day, a break from having to beat everyone in a tournament to earn prize money. [details]
Working...
X